Internet Explorer Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mike12345

Hoping someone can help...!

I recently bought a used laptop that had been used in a school system. It operates on XP and I am able to get an internet connection.

When I open up IE, the only page I can access is the school's web page. I know this is current and online because there is current date and time on the web page itself. The problem is that for protection for the students, I think they made s etting that blocks every other site because when I try to access ANYTHING else, I get "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error. I went into the internet options and returned all to default levels, but that did not help.

I am comfortable enough to access and edit the registry, but wouldn't know where to make the fix. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can "open up" IE to other sites, thatwould be apppreciated.

By the way, there is no filtering software installed, virus protection , etc. I think they just forgot to rest something deep within IE when they sold it!

Thanks,
Mike

Just wipe the drive clean and reinstall Windows XP from the install CD.

What? You mean they did not sell you the CD with the computer? Technically, that makes your XP a pirated OS. Because it is registered to the school. They should have sold the computer without any software on it - or included the CD in the sale.

You might try IEfix...might work but you are going to need the CD.
http://www.winxptutor.com/download/iefix.zip

Read about it here before using:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

sekirt

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It could be as simple as IPSEC settings in the TCP/IP protocol. Have you checked there?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online