Internet Explorer/Roadrunner connection problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Crickets23

Just changed from dial-up AOL to Roadrunner about 2 weeks ago - was working fine until yesterday - now when I hit the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop to connect to Roadrunner (RR) it always give that error page saying the "website cannot be displayed . .. ". It used to connect right to the RR home page, now you can see the words "finding www.rr.com" in the lower left of the IE box, then the error page comes up. Occasionally it will also say badurl.grandstreetactive.com' in that "finding . . .' area before the error page comes up - not sure what that's all about.
I tried all the things that the error page mentions - hitting refresh, hitting the internet connection and checking the LAN settings and everything looks good. Also tried disabling the Internet Security and trying a couple different System Restore dates to no avail.
Thought I would try here first before calling RR, as they weren't too helpful in getting it set up in the first place.
As for the setup, the main PC is hooked up by wireless to a cable modem in the basement PC which is directly wired to the RR cable. The icon on this PC says that the signal strength is excellent, so that's not the problem. Otherwise, I'm using a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP SP1, with a Linksys wireless adapter.
Thanks for any help!
Pete

can you ping any sites? to do this got to start>run>type cmd the click ok, now type ping www.yahoo.com and hit enter what does this give you? also try to pull an ip address, to do this go to start>run>type cmd the click ok, now type ipconfig then hit enter, what does the ip address say, if you network is setup correctly it should say 192.xxx.xxx.xx if not you may see auto config 169.xxx.xxx.xx, if you se the later close the window and shut down the pc and the router and modem, then reboot the modem then router then pc. now try a new ipconfig, any change if not contact RR.

Crickets23

Still can't connect to Roadrunner. Everything pings fine (4 packets sent, 4 received). Have reinstalled Internet Explorer 6, used the winsock fix-it tool, deleted SP2 (as the problems seemed to start after this was installed), run ADaware and SpyBot. Even just installed FireFox as another browser and this won't connect either - seems like it should be a simple congifuration or setting on the browsers that I'm just missing - was going to call RoadRunner again this weekend, but I have more faith in you guys . . .
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online