1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet explorer script errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mtzlplex, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

Hello to all, first time to this forum, from what I have seen, it looks to be a good one. My computer is a pentium 133mgh, with 128mgb ram, 56 K modem, running 98se. Computer seems to be running ok, but I have noticed the number of Internet explorer script errors increasing. Usual error msg is Internet explorer script error, an error has occured in the script on this page, line 6, char 1, error, access denied, code one, although the line, and the char may not be the same on different error msgs. Is there any way to eliminate having these errors, they seem to be more of a nuisance, just something else getting in the way of progress, or are these just another one of the quirks that windows has that sometimes you hear about that you just have to live with? Any ideas and or input on this subject is much appreciated.

Regards
    Mike Peters

Just because you can do something does not always
    mean you should( from the mind of an old man)

2. bandit429

bandit429

Hello Mike,
    Welcome to TSG!

Open internet explorer and click tools. Then click internet options and click the advanced tab. Then check disable script debugging.
    That should take care of it.

3. The_Egg

The_Egg

And if it's checkmarked (directly underneath), also UNCHECK
    "Display a notification about every script error"

4. mtzlplex

Hi Bandit 429, don`t be supprised if you get an email also, just when I was sending a reply late last night, TSG went off line, and this morning when I tried to reply, wasn`t sure quite how to. I too was under the opinion that checkmarking the disable script debugging would eliminate receiving the script errors, I have had it disabled for about a month, and still receiving errors, mind you not massive amounts, but a nuisance. I also have the display a notification about every script error unchecked. If you can think of any other tricks a guy could try they would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Regards
    Mike Peters

5. mtzlplex

Hi The Egg, great name, short and sweet. Thank you for replying. I have had the disable script debugging checkmarked for about a month, and have had the display a notification about every script error unchecked for the same amount of time, and am still receiving errors, not massive amounts, but nuisance. If there are any other tricks you could think of, they would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Regards
    Mike Peters

6. Del

Del

Hi Mike,
    What version of IE are you running?
    Did it always do this or did it start all of a sudden?
    If so, do you remember making any changes about that time?

7. The_Egg

The_Egg

Also, are you running any Norton apps?
    eg. Norton System Works / Script Blocking
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001082912274906

If it's not that, then maybe it's a firewall related issue ?!
    Hmm . . . just noticed you're on a 56k modem, so you probably don't use a firewall...
    but you should, because EVERYONE is vulnerable to attacks.

8. mtzlplex

Hello Del, thanks for your interest in my problem. At present I am running IE 5. As far as things I have done, only 2 come to mind, I added AVG 6.0 anti virus, and Spybot S&D. It seems like this machine has always had script errors. I appreciate any input.

Regards
    Mike Peters

9. mtzlplex

Thanks for the reply Egg. No, no Norton of any kind on this machine, and also not running any firewall. Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards
    Mike Peters

10. The_Egg

The_Egg

Which version of IE5 is it?
    There was lots of bugs in IE5.0
    Since then there's been:
    IE5.1 | IE5.1 sp1 | IE5.5 | IE5.5 sp1 | IE5.5 sp2 | IE6.0 | IE6.0 sp1

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The Egg is right, there are some errors that will occur as a result of IE compatibility problems and these aren't always resolved by the previous methods.

You should also look at your running tasks and see if you have mdm.exe running. This is a debugging tool that can run independently and may be giving error messages. If it is there, you may be able to disable it by unchecking it through running msconfig and looking for it under startups. There are other methods as well.

12. Del

Del

If still you get the errors, you can try an update to IE 5.5 SP2.

13. mtzlplex

Hey The Egg, I checked in my system info, and my version is IE5 5.00.2614.3500, is that the one that is flakey?, and if it is any suggestions about updateing? I`ve never updated IE before, unknown territory. Thanks for the help.

Regards
    Mike Peters

14. Corrosive

Corrosive

Might this problem be to an increase in you visiting sites containing cruddily programmed Javascripts? Just a thought...

15. mtzlplex

Hello Rollin`Rog, thanks for your interest in helping me. I have checked for mdm.exe in start up, it is not there. My version of IE is IE 5 5.00.2614.3500. If this is not a good version, any ideas on which would be a good support for my system? I am running 133mgh Pentium, 128 mgb ram, 1.6 gig hard drive, 98se. As I explained to The Egg, I have never updated IE, so this will be 1st time if I should, any advise and or assistance will be much appreciated.

Regards
    Mike Peters

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice