1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer setup and browser problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mr jeffo, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mr jeffo

mr jeffo Thread Starter

Quite a while ago i was trying to install Internet Explorer 6 from Ie5 with the IE 6 service pack. What happend is it was half way through installing or something then the computer restarted because something had finished installing.

Anyway when my computer was restarted it came up would you like to resume setup so i went to yes but it tried to resume it would not fully install it always stoped and said "cannot install all components make sure all applications are closed" something along those lines. I tried making sure every single program application was shut down (everything) but still it would not install.

Now it seems like it is half installed, and the Internet web browser has gone kinda wierd but still works. All the buttons at the top which normally have stop, refresh, home, web, favroutes and history are still there but underneath each one its label says something different. So undernieth the stop button it says "cut" anderneath the refresh button it says "copy" anderneath the home button it says "paste" and undernieth the favroutes button it says "related". This also effects my normal browser i use witch open windows explorer etc.
    Also Outlook Express is gone from my computer because of this and the quick link toolbar also doesent seem to be working.

I cannot install other versions because it said this version is not completely installed.

If it is any help to you i am running Windows 98 SE.

I would appriciate any help thanks.

2. e-liam

e-liam

Hi mrjeffo, and welcome to TSG.. :)

The first thing to try would be to repair your IE6 installation. Click on Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, then scroll down the list and highlight Internet Explorer 6.0 and Internet Tools by clicking once. A button will illuminate under the list saying Add/Remove program. Click on that and then click on the option to Repair, and click OK.

See if that cures it.

Cheers

Liam

3. mr jeffo

mr jeffo Thread Starter

unfortunatly it is not in the add remove program list... this may be because it is not fully installed. It doesent even have any version of internet explorer in the box.

4. EvileYe

EvileYe

Can you access the repair tool by Clicking Start/Run and typing msinfo32.exe hit ok and when the System Info box pops up click tools and IE repair tool.

If so, try running the repair tool, You may need your windows 98SE cd.

5. mr jeffo

mr jeffo Thread Starter

Thankyou very much i went in that little program and i had to restore many files from the Windows 98 cd but now it looks to be all back to normal and outlook express is back... Thanks

6. EvileYe

EvileYe

Glad to hear it (y)

7. mr jeffo

mr jeffo Thread Starter

damm for some reason there all back to the way it was before and Internet explorer still wants to install but wont it is not in add remove and in that program there was no IE repair tool :(

8. EvileYe

EvileYe

Sounds like you have adware/spyware or some kind of virus in there somewhere.
    You will need to do as below so we can start eliminating causes.

First Delete Temp files, Cookies and offline content.To do this,
    Open Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/delete cookies/delete files
    select off-line content/clear history.

Download cwshredder from here

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip

Close all browser windows (including minimized windows)
    Run cwshredder

When it is finished Reboot your computer.

Download Adaware from here

Go here http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Make sure you select "Check for updates now" and get the latest reference files.

Run Adaware and hit the Scan now button, make sure Activate indepth scan is selected and then
    hit next. After the scan has completed delete everything it finds.

Restart your computer.

Then Download Spybot search & destroy from here. Read the instructions while you're there.

http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/index1.html

Install the program (Close all browser windows) and run it.

Before scanning press "Online" and "Search for Updates"

Put a check mark at and install all updates.

Click "Check for Problems" and when the scan is finished let Spybot fix/remove all it finds in red.

Restart your computer.

Download "Hijack this" from here

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Once you have unzipped it and have it running, Hit the scan button, when the scan is finished the button will change to a save log button, click it and then a notepad window will open, you need to copy and paste all of the log contents in here and someone will look at it for you.

9. bsacco

bsacco

I'm running WIN 98 and I have a PC that IS NOT connected to the Internet.

I need to install I.E. 6.0.

DOes anyone know of a way to install IE 6.0 WITHOUT having to be connected to the INTERNET?

THanks-
    bob

10. e-liam

e-liam

Hi bsacco,

In the UK, most of the computer magazine's cover disks will have a copy. I don't where you are, but grab a mag, and have a look at the contents index for the cover disk. You should find one that contains it. (y)

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Liam

11. korvete

korvete

I ordered a cd from here.

http:www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ordercd/ie6sp1.asp

The CD is free, shipping and handling is $5.00 US.
    I have not received mine yet, good luck.

Edit #1

I just noticed that the offer is good in US and Canada only!
    If you can not get one let me know and I will order a second one and forward it to you.

12. bsacco

bsacco

I have a one PC in my house that needs IE 6. It is not connected to the Internet. THough I have other PC's in the house that are connected the the Internet. When I download IE6 from Microsoft it is an .exe file that requires you to be connected to the Internet then grabs all the components it needs for the install.

Is it possible to download, then transfer IE 6 to another PC?

13. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Look through all you program CD's you have laying around. Just about all of them, especially any business or personal finance such as Quicken, etc will have a version of IE on it. In fact almost any program that might require online updates will most likely include it. Simply install one of these programs then update IE to the latest version via the internet.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

14. cccharlee

cccharlee

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice