1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer Stops 10 mins at a time

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Rodme, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rodme

Rodme Thread Starter

Hello,

Running Windows 98 SE with internet explorer 5.5, it seems that every ten minutes or so IE 5.5 stops responding. It could be in the middle of downloading a page and will stop half way for a few minutes and then continue.

I have checked for Adware, Spyware, and done a repair on IE 5.5 and I have found no adware or spyware and the repair fixed nothing. I hope somone can help me with this, because I don't want to have to re-install the program again, I have a lot of information in the drop downs and passwords and don't want to lose that and have to enter that info again.

I hope someone can help me with this problem

Rod Levett

2. Del

Del

How do you connect to the internet? Do you have DSL?

3. Rodme

Rodme Thread Starter

I connect using dial up, but that isn't the issue, because when my IE 5.5 stops working for that period, I can check mail, and do other internet things.

The first thing I checked into was my connection

Rod

4. Del

Del

Do you have a network adapter (ethernet card) in your computer??

5. Rodme

Rodme Thread Starter

yes I do

6. Del

Del

OK, try this, go to Start > Control Panel and double click Network.
    Find the tcp/ip for the network adapter and double click it. Change Obtain IP address automatically to Specify an IP address.
    For the IP address, type in 192.168.054.008 and for the subnet mask, put in 255.255.255.0 and click ok. Click ok again and after it reboots see how it is.

7. Rodme

Rodme Thread Starter

Hi Del,

That worked for one computer, but running a network between two computers and the other computer couldn't find it. We also have Zone Alarm running on both machines, but even with them shut down, one computer couldn't find the other. What do I do to solve that problem

Rod

8. Del

Del

Didn't see anything about networking two computers when I said to put an internal IP on the NIC. How do you network the two machines? Hub, switch, router??

9. Rodme

Rodme Thread Starter

Sorry about that I should have mentioned that earlier. The computers are connected directly through thier NIC Cards with IP address

10. Rodme

Rodme Thread Starter

Is there anyone that can help me with this problem

11. Del

Del

Does one computer use two NIC's and you using a crossover cable?

12. Rodme

Rodme Thread Starter

One (1) compter has two NICs which is bridged, the other (2)computer is plugged directly into one(1) with a cross over cable, the other nic in computer (1) is not currently in use other than being bridged in windows XP

Computer One is running Windows XP
    Computer Two is running Windows 98SE

Hope that helps

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice