Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet explorer takes me to the update website!!

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  hewee 
#1 ·
Hi to all,
hope you can help me here, every time i open my internet explorer, iam taken to the windows update website instead of my homepage. Is there some kind of setting i can arrange to fix this issue? iam using WinXP Pro SP2

Thanks for any help,
Ed.

#2 ·
There could be a couple things going on, so I'll try and cover a few of them.

1) Be sure you are opening IE with the direct link to iexplore.exe. You can check by right clicking on the icon you use to open it and selecting Properties. The target should read "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" .

2) Your homepage isn't set up right. Assuming you are opening the program itself as described in #1, your homepage should be the first thing that you come to. Double check it is correct by going to Tools --> Internet Options, inside of an IE browser. Set the homepage address to something like: http://www.google.com/ and apply the changes. Try to open another window of IE to see if it brings up Google.

3) IE is somehow not up to date and XP is making you go to Windows Updates until you download/install the updates. I've seen this once before.. I think.. so just make sure that you have all of the Express updates installed!! :D

#3 ·
Hi danmcman, thanks for your reply, yes the explorer shortcut is ok and the internet homepage is the google website, i have also deleted cookies and temporary internet files so as to refresh my explorer. I also have all the updates installed on my pc because i let the update website run and installed the genuine advantage tool, it installed, then went on to check for new updates but there was none, so i closed the browser and opened a new one and still the same windows update website appears.
cant figure out why this is happening all of a sudden, as i was working fine a couple of days ago. :confused:

#4 ·
After scouring Google for a few minutes.. it hit me. From an IE browser window, go to Tools/Internet Options.. Select the Advanced tab, the second checkbox under the Browsing header is "Automatically check for Internet Explorer Updates.." Make sure this is Unchecked!! If I check it, and open new IE windows, I get redirected as you describe.

#5 ·
thanks alot danmcman, i will try it out and reply back to you as soon as i return home, thanks alot for your great help :up:

#6 ·
Hi danmcman, i have unchecked it and opened a new window, but still the website redirects me to the windows update website, i can't understand why it is happening :confused: i have checked everything but my settings seem to be all ok.

#7 ·
I have checked a few things it seems that an activex objext named wuweb, which is actually part of the windows update website might be redirecting me to the windows update website, but i cant figure out a way to stop it from redirecting me every time i open a new instance of internet explorer.

#8 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.