1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer Trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MELUSINE, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

Okay, here is my problem, I deleted the IE 6 because it was giving me an error when I tried to open it and got Mozilla because I was tired of trying to figure it out, yes I know, what a way to handle it heh.

Well, there are things I need IE for, MSN Messenger winks for one unless someone has found a way to make it work without IE.

I installed IE7 on my computer, but it is doing the exact same thing that IE6 was, error when you try to open it Internet Explorere encountered a problem and needs to close.

Error details : AppName:iexplore.exe AppVer 7.0.6000.16473 Modname: kernel32.dll
    ModVer:5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 00012a5b

So anyway, any advice would be appreciated, i would rather not use IE but Microsoft sort of has me by the throat.

Thanks,

Mel

2. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

I found this on another forum:

3. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

Uhh yeah, I don't know what that was suposed to do for me, but what ever it was? it didn't. Thank you though.

Here, I forgot I should have probably already given this, sorry, a little tired and out of sorts with this whole mess.

I am running MC XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

on a Vaio Intel(R) Pentium (R)4CPU 2.80GHZ 2.79 GHZ, 512 MB of Ram

not sure what else is needed.

Thanks, Mel

4. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

You did all that and it didn't work? That should have reset IE and got rid of it..

If you have IE7, go to Internet Options> Tools> Advanced Tab> Click Reset at the bottom. Tell me if that works.

5. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

Yop aaaaaaallll that and Nothing. Try to open it and all I get is an error message asking if I want to send off to MS. As if, I could die of old age before help came from them without me buying a whole new product!

I had a bug seeeeveral months ago, it was the root problem of the error in the beginning, but No one was able to help me fix it, I am not so savvy as to be able to reboot this thing without losing a bunch of stuff I can;t back up and I can't get back if I lose, like the programs I don;t have codes for anymore, so I avoided the issue by removing the problem. Deleted IE 6 and got Mozilla. Now I would like to try to get IE working again without a complete system removal for one stupid program. If anyone knows of a way to check IE and find the problem, something I can run that might pinpoint it Please tell me.

Thanks,

Mel

6. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

You are only resetting IE not your PC, it wont affect your files. All it will do is flush IE and reset it to default.

Try this:

Start> Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> Reset

7. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

doing it, Note: the only way I can get to IE 7 is through internet options in control panel, the page itself does not open at all.

But, the options panel in the control panel is working.

8. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

Done, error message still appears.

9. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

Hmm... can you take a picture of the error message and post it, it may help me a bit heh.

10. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

sure just a moment, IBM000X.exe that is the name ( I think) of the Trojan I was fighting when all this happened, if it helps any, my pc is not infected with anything at this time. But, I recall being told that program could have caused the error...

just a moment on the pic

11. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

12. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

Click the 'view techinical info' and either copy and paste or take a pic of that... could be helpful.

13. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

Dude, I would love to, but that would take me a year to cut and make into one pic, and yeah, it would have to done that way...and I can't get it to copy, any ideas?

14. MELUSINE

MELUSINE Thread Starter

actually, even if I did it in several snaps, it would be a horribly long process, I can if you feel it absolutely necc and there is not other way.

15. The Hound

The Hound

Could you post a hijackthis log, just to be sure there's no malware involved?

Download it here:

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.

Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click Edit > Select All> Edit > Copy to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Paste the log in your next reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!