1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet explorer unable to display webpage!!!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Truedol, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Truedol

Truedol Thread Starter

Hi everyone, please could someone advise me on what to do to fix this annoying message which seems to pop up when i am trying to display certain webpages. I am fine until I get to the last page that I need and then this message come up and I cant go any further. The "fix it now" option hasnt worked, and no problems are detected when I run the diagnostics tool. I have followed some advice that I came across online but still no help. I am desperate, trying to book a holiday and cant get to the checkout page!!!!! Any help would be great. Thanks, Kelly

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Did this problem just occur? Have you tried using another browser? Which version of IE and I need to know which version of windows your running.

But since it only occurs on certain sites it might be due to an "add-on" issue.
    Use the Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) mode. To do this, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
    If this resolves the issue, follow these steps to isolate the browser add-on that is causing the issue:

1. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
    2. Click the Programs tab, and then click Manage add-ons.
    3. Click an add-on in the Name list, and then click Disable.
    4. Repeat step 3 until you identify the add-on that is causing the issue.

3. Truedol

Truedol Thread Starter

Thanks Victoria, I have tried that already but to no avail. I have just upgraded IE to version 9 from 8 as wondered if that would help (it didnt!). I am using Windows 7. I generally use google to browse, I can actually use the internet, its only when trying to get on certain pages? Hope I am making sense! Kelly

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

By browsers I meant another engine like mozzilla firefox? But let's work on IE first. let's try a few more regular solutions if no luck then I'd suggest trying a new browser while I contact a security adviser to see if this may be due to an infection. I need you to answer a few questions: Have you always had this problem? If no when did this occur?
    When you open IE you can run a search on google just fine and other sites load just fine?
    Can you tell me the site you cannot view (could be 3rd party related) and tell me EXACTLY what error appears on the screen.

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Yes you are. I need you to test IE by in safe mode with networking. Restart the computer. When the screen goes blank, press the F8 key repeatedly. Click Safe Mode with Networking, and then press ENTER. After the computer has restarted in safe mode, start Internet Explorer, and see whether you receive the same error message.

6. Truedol

Truedol Thread Starter

Oh sorry about that, i am not that great with computers as you can probably tell! Not sure what browser I use :-/ I noticed it started last week, when i was trying to get into my virgin mobile account. I can load the website fine, i can log in even, but I cant access my information after that. Then today, I am trying to book a holiday through Thomas cook, I get the holiday and the flights ok, but when I go to "continue to book" it crashes out. the message says "internet explorer cannot display the webpage". it gives me the options to diagnose the problem but this tells me there isnt a problem! I cant remember loading anything new on my computer, so not sure how to go forward? Thanks for your help. Kelly

7. Truedol

Truedol Thread Starter

ok, will try that now.

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Are you mainly having trouble connecting to secure sites? (with https in the address bar)

9. Truedol

Truedol Thread Starter

Just restarted in safe mode Victoria, but problem still occurring.

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Do you remember exactly when IE started to be problematic? If so we can try a system restore choosing a restore date when IE was working properly. But if you're able to load all sites in safe mode it's possible you're PC may be infected. In which case I will contact a moderator to move this post to malware so they can help you thoroughly to remove the infection.

11. Truedol

Truedol Thread Starter

yes, it would seem so. And its not every website that I visit, just 2 at the moment!!

12. Truedol

Truedol Thread Starter

I cant remember the exact date as it only came to light when I tried to get into my virgin mobile account last week (27th), and then noticed it again today with Thomas cook. Obviously I dont access these websites on a daily basis so not sure if it would have been anything before then?

13. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Just 2? What websites? Also can you answer Phantom's question.

14. Truedol

Truedol Thread Starter

yes phantom it would seem so. Virgin Mobile and Thomas Cook are the culprits (that i know of!)

15. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you try loging into other secure sites?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice