1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer won't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by asentient, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asentient

asentient Thread Starter

I hope someone can assist. I was reading other posts on this website, and I've seen some good responses. I'm hoping someone out there has some suggestions. My current problem is that IE, Netscape and AIM can't get onto the internet. I'm running windows ME.

My problem started with some trojan horse programs. My kids downloaded them to my home computer. Even Norton Anti-Virus found them. I tried deleting them, but they wouldn't go away. Thats' when I came to this site originally.

I saw some hints that suggested that I load CWShredder.exe. Loaded and ran it. It said it found some bad things. I ran it in "fix" mode. Didn't seem to get rid of them all.

Next I tried SpybotSearch and RegCleaner. Things got better. The original problem of slow repsonse went away, and the PC became useful again. However, not everything was OK. The PC would reset after some period of time. Plus, still lots of popups. And, the windows error msgs saying that certain DLLs had committed an error and were closing. The same window also said that if the problem persisted, then I should consider restarting windows.

so, having had some success with RegCleaner, I felt that some trojan horses were still present. NewdotNet was the culprit I felt for sure. I got rid of that in the startup registry.

Anyway, I think I got carried away. I may have removed the wrong item from the startup registry. At least that's what I think I did. I don't know what else to think. Because before I started, IE was able to connect to the internet, and now it can't.

Since the IE problem, I've reinstalled windows ME from the CD. Still no fix. I cant' get FTP to work, and so I can't copy the file hijackthis.zip file to my home pc to get its output. ( I don't have a floppy drive on this laptop I'm typing on now).

So, now I need help. If you agree that I've screwed up my startup registry, then I need soe assistance to remedy this. Can someone tell me what files/programs I need in the startup registry for windows ME? Also, how to put them back now that I've removed them (on accident).

If that is not my problem, then alternate solutions are good too. I'm open. Tomorrow I'll have my floppy disk on this laptop, and I'll be able to transfer the hijackthis app to my home pc and get its output.

ALBERT

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. asentient

asentient Thread Starter

I went to the site and did what he asked which was to execute scanregw.exe /fix and then after a reboot scanregw.exe /opt. No change.

One item I left out in my original post. From a command window I can see that my PC has an IP address via DHCP, and I can ping my local router. I can also ping "www.yahoo.com". so the DNS resolves. Yet, I can't get to "www.yahoo.com" from IE or Netscape. I get the error in the body of the app saying "page can't be displayed" or something like that.

As I stated I was messing with startup registry when I caused this.

Any startup registry experts for ME out there?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice