Internet Explorer won't connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

teejayh

I have a PC that won't let IE6 connect to the internet. I have a Comcast Cable Broadband connection and my OS is XP Home. My yahoo and AOL IM work fine. When I start IE it trys to connect to my homepage (or others i have typed in) and I keep getting the error message "The page could not be displayed", The page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

If you still cannot open the page, click the Internet Explorer
Search button to look for similar sites.

I can connect to any websites on my other PC. I have used the Add/Remove Programs to uninstall any software that I dont use anymore. Also, I have run Adaware and Spybot and deleted the entries that I did not recognize (spyware?). Any ideas on how to get IE back up and running? Thanks!

Hi teejayh...first off, use IE Tool/Internet options and click Delete Cookies, Delete Files and Clear History, clicking OK each time.

Then go Tools/Internet options...Programs tab...click Reset web settings.

Close IE, restart and see if things improve.

If not, download, install and run HiJackThis (it's free). Select 'do a system scan and save the log file' - DON'T let it 'fix' anything as most of the entries are meant to be there.

Copy and paste the complete log into another post in this thread and someone will look at it and advise you further.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online