1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ddiallo, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ddiallo

ddiallo Thread Starter

My internet explorer would not open at all. I don't know what is wrong my no one seems to be able to fix it. It does not open at all. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but still when i click on the link it does not open. I use windows 2000 as OS. Can you guys help ?
    Please

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, try this: Open Windows Explorer, erase the C:\ or whatever shows in the address bar, and type a web address into the space and hit Enter....does a page open on the right side?

Are you using the same pc to post here, perhaps with a different browser, or another pc?

How do you connect to the Net, by cable, DSL, dialup etc?

3. ddiallo

ddiallo Thread Starter

I m still unable to open internet explorer ... it won't do anything at all.
    i have tried anything possible
    can anyone help ?
    please be as detail as possible as i m just a beginner ..
    This is the problem
    My internet explorer would not open at all. I don't know what is wrong my no one seems to be able to fix it. It does not open at all. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but still when i click on the link it does not open. I use windows 2000 as OS. Can you guys help ?
    Please

4. ddiallo

ddiallo Thread Starter

Thak you. I can access the internet using netscape. the problem is not opening a web page . I am having a problem with internet explorer 6. when i double click on the link nothing happens. It won't open . I would like to reinstore it. Can you please help ?
    As i mentioned before i uninstalled and resinstalled the application , but still nothing ...
    help please thanks

5. TOGG

TOGG

I have always understood that IE can never be completely uninstalled because it is completely integrated with your OS (particularly Windows Explorer).

If you still have an entry for IE in 'Add/Remove Programs' you could try clicking on uninstall and you should be offered the option to 'repair' IE. I don't know if that will cure your problem or if there are any risks with this procedure.

Even if you do get IE back, it would be a good idea to use another browser except where you must have IE, such as Windows Update.

6. ddiallo

ddiallo Thread Starter

I use cable to connect to the internet ...any idea why IE is not working ?

7. ddiallo

ddiallo Thread Starter

This is not working at all.
    And I do have to use IE.
    any idea why it's not working ?

8. ddiallo

ddiallo Thread Starter

Hi ,

From the instruction that you gave me, i was able to open web pages but the link internet explorer on the desktop still does not work. I cannot open a webpage by double clicking on the icon internet explorer ...
    it does not work

9. shark70

shark70

Have you tried to deleate the icon, the go back to your IE and right click your IE and go down to create a short cut to put another IE on your desk top. Then go to your desk top and try to open it up. Hope it works for you.

10. Lightspeed

Lightspeed

Yes, what Shark70 says makes sense if the problem is only that your IE icon on the desktop is corrupted. But it seems like your problem probably goes deeper than that. Your uninstall likely left behind some files that prevented a proper reinstallation. There is a very nice little utility that can pretty much zap IE out of existence COMPLETELY (well they clain 99% ;)). It's called IEradicator and you can find it here:

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

Note that this utility will work in Win 2000 sr1, but not in sr2. If it does work in your service release, you can try the free trial version of 2000lite which will let you repair or remove IE

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

Hope this helps,

Lightspeed.

Lightspeed's Windows 95 page
    http://oldfiles.streamlinetrial.co.uk/lightspeed/lightspeed95.html
    or
    http://lightspeedwin95.alturl.com/

11. Lightspeed

Lightspeed

Sorry, i meant If it does NOT work in your service release ...

12. Lightspeed

Lightspeed

And then after complete eradication of IE, of course you should reinstall! Sorry for the broken post, I'm still new on this forum :p!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice