1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by root, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. root

root Thread Starter

My Internet Explorer Version 5.5 takes way too long to open. So, I downloaded Version 6.0. Same thing...takes forever to open, if ever.
    Previously, it worked great
    I have another computer on the same network...we use a router. It works fine. Any ideas what might be causing this?

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

check for corrupted files and viruses. If none, then it is a registry/config problem. As to where at in the registry, that's a tuffy.

If you have a registry backup of the first time you pc was booted, then you can restore that and then install IE6.

IE repair tool might help too.

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

also, if all else fails and you are careful and know what your are doing, and you have win98, you can go here http://www.98lite.net/iextract.html and follow directions to remove internet explorer. Making sure to follow all the backup warnings. However, before you do that, make sure to download the full install setup file of IE6

Then use http://www.98lite.net/ieradicator.html to finish up the rest.

Then put back the 3 win98 files that were replaced with win95 files and then reinstall IE6.

Then go to windows update and update IE.

This does work and is very easy to do.

Just don't attempt it if you are not sure you can accomplish it.

I have win98 and don't have IE anymore because I did this myself. I love it. I use mozilla 0.9.7 and opera , but I can install IE6 the correct way one ever I want.

Ie6 doesn't like to be installed over previous versions of itself. With IE removed, there is nothing for IE6 to complain about.

Note: this does not affect Outlook express at all.

Also, after doing all of that, all the menu appear so damn quick it's funny. everything loads NOW.

4. frogger

frogger

5. root

root Thread Starter

I have Windows ME.
    And where is the IE repair tool?

Thanks

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

in W98 anyways - assume also for Wme

start
    settings
    control panel
    add/remove programs
    click on MS internet explorer and internet tools
    add/remove

you should have the option of adding or repairing

7. root

root Thread Starter

ok...I find that if I do a ctrl-alt-del....
    and kill a task called msbb, IE opens right up
    Question is , what is this msbb, what program is it associated wit. Perhaps something in the systray, that I can eliminate from starting. Any help is appreciated.

8. beach51

beach51

Hi Root,msbb is spyware.Might be a good idea to post your startup programs so we can see if you have anymore nasty ones on your computer.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32>click on the + sign next to software environment>click on edit>select all>edit>copy and paste the page back here.

9. root

root Thread Starter

hehe...yeah I just came back here to let it be known i discovered what was going on. msbb is indeed spyware from 180-solutions...n-case. It was linked to Bearshare. I had deleted bearshare, but this eveidently was still getting loaded in. So, I had to remove this from the registry, where it was set to run.

whew

10. beach51

beach51

Glad you got it solved Root.:D You know theres a free program called Ad-aware that will remove most spyware components.You can get it here.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net

11. root

root Thread Starter

Just a quick question....
    Rather than going into the registry to have edited this out, how can I simply stop these things from loading.Does Windows have an easy way to deal with those items that aren't necessarily load into the system tray itself, but get loaded in a hidden fashion?

12. beach51

beach51

Root,Ad-aware will remove them for you.You dont have to go into the registry.You might also want to check what you have running at startup since alot you spyware can be detected there.Just go to Start>Run.Type in msconfig>click on startup tab.These are all the programs that run everytime you bootup the computer.If you see something there that looks suspicious let us know.

13. root

root Thread Starter

Beach, I'll get that Ad-ware.
    Also, I had known about msconfig, but had forgotten all about that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Right there it enables you to deselect items so they wont run.

Thanks again.

14. beach51

beach51

Your welcome:D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice