1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

$$ Internet for Apartment Complex $$

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bdogle, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

I have an apartment complex that I would like to set up internet for.

Actually, i had thought, what if I could provide internet to the tenants, but charge for it.... kind of like a hotel, but only on a month to month basis. Thinking, maybe $20.00 per month.

Has anyone deployed something like this?

The building is two stories with four, two bedroom units upstairs and four, two bedroom unit downstairs.

I have found a company that does this, www.internetapartments.net, I have not spoke to them yet.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i do not have experience of setting this kind of thing up , i'm sure you will get replies from other qualified members,

but maybe just a few other points you may want to consider in your research

if the apartment block has phone lines to each apartment, what would be the cost to get a package for Broadband , TV, Phone etc
    remember you will be competing with other providers
    also having cable installed - what would the costs be

so if i wanted a cable TV package, would I get the broadband pretty much for nothing , I know sky in the UK does that for there users , if you have the Sky TV package broadband is quite cheap to have

Also with phone calls bundled

so you should look at the competition in the area and see what the costs would be to deal on your own, and then if it would be worth taking your service

you would also need to take up a business broadband package , have kit with QoS that would also limit one apartment from using up all the bandwidth

you may also want to consider a contract and who would be responsible if one of the apartments download illegal material

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    How many apartments and buildings are we talking about?

4. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

A new one is going up as we speak, I thought I could get everything wired up for this before it was finished. There is an existing complex at a different location that I might set up if all goes well with this one. There may be new ones built in the future as well.

What are your thoughts?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I work for an ISP, but not in sales. We do have bulk accounts where you pay a certain amount as a whole and each apartment will have a connection to the internet. It would be a low speed (about 5Mb) but they all will have their own separate connection. I don't think a shared connection or a wireless access point would be suitable. Are you in a location that has cable internet services? Do you provide TV yourself?

6. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Why don't you think a shared connection would work? I assumed a wireless connection would be more desirable considering the growing popularity of tablets. I'm imagining something identical to the wireless connections in hotels.

There is cable and dsl available. No, I do not provide TV.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Once you have people doing downloading/netflix etc, the speeds will be dropped, may even stop connection all together. Be sure that you check the ISPs T&Cs as they don't allow you to use a residential plans for the is reason.

I would say speak to your cable provider. They may be able to provide each home basic internet for about $20 each or less depending on the company you have in the area.

8. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Could you not limit or govern each connection?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's possible but you may be running into more of a commerical grade equipment or it would not be benefical to your users. If you were to broker a deal with the cable company, they will supply the modems (your tenants may have to pay a small fee) so the technical aspect is out of your hands.

Do you have any equipment now or are you just curious?

10. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Nope, I do not have any equipment currently. I was just trying to think of another income stream. Thought that I could sell wireless income to the tenants on a month to month basis as there stay is usually less than 4 or 5 months.

I was imagining to wireless routers that emitted the wireless signal and an automated billing/payment process.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if they are only staying 4-5 months, then that may possibly be attractive to tenants , as i know in the UK most contracts are 12 months and if you buy a short term contract that can be very expensive , and in fact worked out its cheaper to break a contract for all the ISPs in UK
    my sons just got a 6mth contract and renting a flat and so it was only last week i looked into this.
    the penalty is still quite small , and if the contract extends , he still has the service at the introductory rates

however, if they leave after 4 months and the flat is empty , i guess you will have to pick up the bill

12. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

This apartment complex is full year round, they are under contract with a local trade school.

I am not after a contract from the tentants for the internet usage, assuming the freedom to buy without a contact would be appealing.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Hotels have this system, for example I stayed in a Sheraton that when you accessed their wireless it will redirect to a sign up page. $9.95 for 24 hours / 3 computers max per room. Perhaps that work for you (prices for you will be different obviously) but you will need to get a commerical account or the ISP will not allow it.

But the other issue is that if everyone is on, you will likely run the risk of utilization issues.

14. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is possible to do wirelessly, but you're not going to be able to do this with your SOHO/consumer grade wireless router/AP as stated by Couriant. You'll need to use business/enterprise level equipment. The cost will probably scare you into looking at other options and if that doesn't scare you, the level of expertise needed to implement it will.

15. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Well give me an idea as to what equipment you think might be what I'm looking for. I'm not too scared of the configuring part. And the money, I'll just have to see what it would cost and see if it would pay for itself.

And yes, Couriant, that is exactly what I had in mind. I'm thinking more along of the lines of $15 to $20 per month.
    I'm still researching what options are currently available for the tenants.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1105417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice