1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet for Laptop while Traveling and Laptop Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eddieg123, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddieg123

eddieg123 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm experienced on home computing, but have no experience with laptops or internet while traveling, so I have a bunch of questions.

I'm going to be doing a lot of RV and auto traveling all over the U.S. So I want to purchase a good laptop and be able to have the internet as much as possible.

So the first question is: Any recommendations as far as good laptops for a person who travels a lot. (I could probably spend up to $2,000 without the DW getting too wild!) What should I make sure I have in my laptop to be able to connect with the internet wherever I am? My cellphone contract is almost due, and I've read some articles about getting a digital cellphone and using that as an access to the internet. Good idea or not? Any company have better plans and service than others? What do I need to know so I don't get talked into buying unnecessary plans, equipment, etc?

We will be staying in hotels sometimes, the RV other times. What would I want to have in my laptop so I could access any free internet available. I've read some stuff about wifi hotspots and hotels having rj45 jacks, etc, but I guess I'm at the point now where I've read so much that I am just overwhelmed with information. Any ideas like what would you do in my situation?

I am also going to be using the laptop at home (Wisconsin/Arizona), so I'd like to know a simple(if possible) way to be able to somehow use my home internet service with both my home pc and my laptop. I have Charter cable internet service at home. Windows xp home edition.

Also, I'm experienced with xp and I really like it. Should I get a laptop with xp, or vista?

I know it's a lot ground to cover, but like I said, I'm a newbie at the whole laptop traveling thing, so I'd really appreciate any help. Is there a website that explains all this? Maybe a FAQ? Thanks a lot in advance, Eddie

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many RV travelers have a directional antenna and a WAP (Wireless Access Point) to connect to WiFi. One of the major issues is weak signals, a good directional antenna can be aimed at the source and make a big difference. I'm led to believe that many RV parks supply WiFi connections. . Decent cellular data access is pretty expensive, $60-100/mo, probably a bit steep for your intended use.

There is no way you need to spend more than $1000-1200 for a nice laptop Any laptop will offer wired and wireless connectivity nowadays. I bought my HP DV9207US laptop through the bargain sites listed below, and I paid $800 for it. I added 2gigs of memory and an additional 120gig hard disk, and have a total of less than $1000 invested. It's certainly more than sufficient for your stated needs. :)

Deal News

Tech Bargains

More Stuff 4 Less

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/603826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice