1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet freezes..........

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by WhoaThis, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

ok i have 3 computers on my cable network through my linksys router. Two of the computer works fine but one of them has a problem with it. Whenever i do anything related to the internet the whole computer freezes and stays frozen until i reset the computer. Every other program/file works fine exept the internet. What could be causing this?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

WhoaThis
    If all three are setup for networking the same way, and with the same settings, then the problem may have to do with the Browser itself. Without a whole lot of info I can only suggest if you have IE 5.0 or greater try doing a repair. Go to the control panel and select add-remove programs and scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x click remove and select the repair function. Restart system after repair and try the internet access now. Your home page will have to be changed.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

3. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

cause the problem is when i do ANYTHING with the internet. I could be playing a game, or updating a program with using I.E. Any other duggestions?

4. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

i meanth WITHOUT using i.e. sorry bout that

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

WhoaThis
    Ok lets start from scratch here then. Are you able to get into the Internet on that machine initially and then after time it hangs?
    If so what OS are you running and what version of IE is it.
    Dave

Edit: I will have to sign off for tonight and will see if you have repied in the morning. If someone else is available they may pick up on my line of thought or have their own.

6. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

i am running windows 2000 pro. It freezes usually in the middle of the 1st page that i goto loading. But sometimes it will take giong to 2 websties or so. But when i am updating a program it happens right when it begins to download the file and right when i begin a online game. Im not shure what version of i.e. i am running but it is the version that comes with win. 2000 pro.

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

WhoaThis
    If you enter IE and click on the help up top and then the about Internet Explorer it will give you the version you are running and also the update version. If you are running 5.5 make sure you have all the updates for it and make sure it is updated to SP2.
    There were many problems fixed with that update. If you are currently at IE5.5 SP2 or above then do an IE repair as I suggested before. If after all is done you still are having problems
    then run a full deep virus scan with your up to date scanner and if you able to get a copy of AdAware onto that machine by going to http://www.lavasoftusa.net/downloads.html and downloading the main program and its newest reflist. You may have to download to floppy from another machine and then transfer to problem child. Set up program on the machine and see if you have any spyware running that could be interferring with IE.
    If problems are encountered with a virus let the AV program attempt a fix and let us know what it found. If spyware is found Don't remove it yet but let us know what it found.
    Dave

8. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

Right now it is running version 5 of i.e. I will Download the updates on this computer and transfer them to that computer. I dont think it is a virus because i have formatted the computer and i had the same problem befor that i have now.

9. angel

angel

Could be a hardware conflict with the network card?
    Assuming you are sharing files between your computers, can you access files on one of the other computers with no probs?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice