1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet goes in and out every few minutes help please!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TravisN, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TravisN

TravisN Thread Starter

My connection is up for a minute and then goes off for a minute. Is there something I can do to fix it? I don't think it has anything to do with the router itself as my room mates' laptop works just fine. Please help me

2. BharatNT2IE

BharatNT2IE

Travis,

Are you using a legacy, wireless adapter(more specifically), does you roomate have a brand new laptop.? I think if you are using and old adapter, for WiFi, you could try purchasing a Dlink , Linkysis or ASUS adapter, and plug them to you PC. What you could do it start this command

> ping 4.2.2.2 -t

from the command terminal and then see if that helps.

Thanks
    Bharat C P

3. charan5b3

charan5b3

if you are using router update firmware ,if no new update change mtu size to 1472 instead of 1500 , disable the sip firewall ,connect with lan , check in safe mode with networking ,if working disable security related softwares , still not working reinstall lan drivers , and run netsh i i r r (windows 7) ,
    netsh winsock reset catalog (win xp) in command prompt , still not working then restore computer to earlier working date ,if still not working then i doubt you physical loose connected or power socket ,still if not check in other isp network if problem persists nic card problem , else your isp connection problem. i gave all possible ways

4. TravisN

TravisN Thread Starter

My room mate's laptop is not new. I am using a wireless router which I believe is fairly new (got it about half a year ago). I'm not good at all with computers, so if you don't mind simplifying it for me that would be great. Thanks

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Does your computer show full bars/excellent strength when connected?

6. TravisN

TravisN Thread Starter

Yes it does and for IPV4 connectivity it says internet, for IPV6 connectivity it says no network access. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this but you never know.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    IPv6 has not been implemented yet... and may not fully with ISPs for another few years.

And when you have no access, the connection shows not connected?

From our guys here:

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Please post a report for when it connects and when it disconnects.

8. charan5b3

charan5b3

Open cmd, type ipconfig, note the default gateway, open in browser, now login if u didnt change search default login details in search engines, based on router model interface different, search for firewall and disable sip firewall, stll if u didnt find search in google images or post router model

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice