internet help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JJAndry

i'm hooked up to internet at my apartment through a t-1 i think? (i have a cord that hooks directly into the wall from my laptop, permanently connected) anyway, when i'm surfing the web, it will be going extremely fast, and then at least once every, say, 10 minutes my connection will just stop working. then after about 30 seconds, it will pick up again. anyone have any idea why this is happening? i'm a college student, and when doing research for school and stuff, it gets quite aggravating. thanks in advance

Sounds to me like there is a problem with the network in your building, not likely your pc at all. Find out who takes care of it and tell them.

I really doubt that you have T1 connection. Your apartmant complex might be on T1 or even T3 and what they will do is deploy some switches and then ethernet cables to each apartment, so on your wall you will have ethernet jack coming directly to your laptop.

Place where i work supports huge campus networks too and there could be hundreds of reasons why you're timing out. Sometimes if there is lot of people online at the same time, dhcp lease will time out and your ip will be picked up by someone else, and it could take few moments or minutes to get a new IP. Especially if there are not enough IP's to go around.
There could be also misconfiguration on their VLAN's (if they're using VLANS)
You will have to call your tech support and have them troubleshoot everything on their side.
To me, it seems to be a problem on their side, but it could be something on your windows.
I would call them up and ask them if they can bound (reserve) your IP to your NIC's mac address. That way you will never loos your IP. They could do it just for troubleshooting purposes. We do it all the time.
Hope it helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online