1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet history not deleted when using Fast & Safe Cleanup with Internet Explorer 6

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by thenewguy123, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thenewguy123

thenewguy123 Thread Starter

I sent this question to symmantec and they sent me this link:

NOTE I AM USING WINDOWS XP
    so look at the Windows NT/2000/Xp portion for the solution. (y)

http://service1.symantec.com/support/cleansweep.nsf/pfdocs/1999102516453428?open

click the above before trying to do this yourself becuase there is a solution i just need help doing it.

I hope you guys here at TGF can help me with removing the Index.dat file :)

FYI.. Re-Installing DOES NOT work.

thanks,
    thenewguy123

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

3. polak

polak

4. thenewguy123

Do i need to remove one of the index.dat files or just one... the page i got from symantec makes it seem like i only need to delete one index.dat file :?

5. TOGG

TOGG

Window Washer by Webroot Software deals with index.dat files but it's not freeware. CCleaner also appears to delete them and is free;http://www.ccleaner.com/ but it is described as for 'advanced' users and doesn't have any Help files. (It would be a good idea to ignore the 'Issues' scan in CCleaner as it involves the Registry and could cause problems).

I've used both on Win 98 without problems and any index.dat files I have are either 1KB or 32KB in size (instead of 3 or 4 hundred KB) once I have run one of those programs.

Both programs need to be able to run at bootup, before Windows loads and locks the files.

6. thenewguy123

this what it looks like... remember its "Cleansweep fast and safe cleanup"

look at the attached pics. i had to cut them down quite a bit... so i dont know if this program you talk of works for this.

Attached Files:

7. hewee

hewee

8. TOGG

TOGG

I have an old version of Norton Cleansweep which I haven't used for some time but I remember it was always very mild in it's cleaning.

However, I think we may be at cross purposes here because you seem to talking about the IE Cache and History which can be cleared by using the Disk Cleanup tools provided in Windows or a third party utility like Cleansweep.

Index.dat files are a whole different proposition and they cannot be cleaned while Windows is running because they are always 'in use'. Have a look at this;http://www.exits.ro/index-dat-files.html There are many more entries like this if you 'Google' index.dat.

Window Washer claims to clean and overwrite index.dat files but I have seen suggestions that many such programs don't do what they claim. What I do know is that WW and CCleaner reduce them in size. Anybody using CCleaner, or any other 'cleaning' program, should do so with great care.

9. hewee

hewee

I have deleted the index.dat file when windows is running but to do so you have to delete the folder it is in. :D

10. thenewguy123

yea these items are only being detected from cleansweep..trust me i have tried manually and all the other procceses to try to remove this stuff... so im going to do what symantec says and delete the index.dat file. hewee where is the foleder the ind.dat file is in?... if i delete the folder will i eperience any problems?

11. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Using Tracks Eraser to delete index.dat files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Index.dat files are always being used by windows system, you can not delete index.dag files manually, and even you clear Temporary Internet Files on Internet Option of Internet Explorer, it will not delete index.dat files.

Using Tracks Eraser to delete index.dat files is very easy, just select the Index.dat on the IE Settings screen.

Tracks Eraser Pro overwrites all the index.dat files with blank characters so that no one can see useful information from these index.dat files.

Example of how Tracks Eraser deleting Index.dat file
    Example: index.dat file before deleting
    Example: index.dat file after deleting

Click Here to Download a Index.dat Viewer
    Click Here to Download Tracks Eraser Pro

12. hewee

hewee

thenewguy123,

I have deleted the " C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5 " folder. But that is only your history and gets rebuild on it's own.

I have deleted the " Content.IE5 " from C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and it also gets rebuild.
    But I had it and the history get rebuild in the C:\WINDOWS\temp folder. Then I delete it from there. Just opening IE rebuilds the files.

Do a search with find on index.dat and your see them and what folder they are in. I never deleted the one in C:\WINDOWS\UserData and there is one for Photoshop you want to keep too.
    Now a search will not show the index.dat in the " C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5 " folders. I never even knew they were there till I did a scan with Index.dat QV http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datqv
    I got the No-install* idqv_noins.zip 55K version. Just unzip it to it's own folder.
    I don't use it to clean but to only scan to see if there are any index.dat files that need clean.
    Then on the " C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5 " if you use IE nd clear it's history it will delete it's sub folders and the index.dat fils.

Open windows expore (not IE ) and type in the address bar. C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and your see what is in the "Content.IE5 " in the right pane and it will be high lighted in the left pane. Delete the Content.IE5 from the left pane.

Open windows expore and type or copy and paste C:\WINDOWS\History in the address and and you see history on the right and in the left pane History is high lighted and I tried and it will not let me delete the history folder.
    But I have ACDsee image viewer and it lets me see more and I can delete the History.IE5 folder from there. It also will show me more files and index.dat. You can not look at the dat files but you can use Index.dat QV to look at what is in the index.dat files.

13. thenewguy123

the last 2 posts you guys posted kinda confused me so i think im gonna go with telecom69's where do i download the programs? there is no hyperlink... will tracks eraser pro make the index.dat files seem like they are brand new? and is it free?

14. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

here is a link for window washer which is reputed to clean exactly what you wanted including index.dat .......window washer .....it is an older version which after the thirty day trial , leaves no foot-print so it can be removed via add/remove programs and re-installed again , and again .....

15. thenewguy123

i love you!!! it workied!!!!! yea!! :) stupid symantec! you guys helped me and your not even certified technicians..or maybe you are but whatever thanks so much1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/267245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice