1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet history question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dmcd, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcd

dmcd Thread Starter

a friend at work had his phonebill and discovered that someone has used his home computer for £1 per minute "adult" sites. He is worried about what his "friend" was looking at/downloading and he has asked if there is anyway he can check what sites his friend has been searching. How far back can you check sites/web addresses?? how do you find them?? how do you get rid of them?any advice??
    He is particularily worried as he doesn't want his kids to find anything. thanks

2. BillC

BillC

Go to Tools > Internet Options > General and you should see at the bottom how many days pass before the IE history is deleted. You can click "clear history" and it will all be gone. Hope this helps.

3. brindle

brindle

Even if you delete them via internet options they still reside in your index.dat files for months and can become huge. Any viewer can read these files. I would suggest you use delindex.bat to completely erase history, cache etc.

4. BillC

BillC

Hey Brindle,

I noticed your post and wanted to ask a question about it.

1. How do you access your index.dat files; where do they live?

2. Do programs like washers and cleaners clear those files? Or do you need a dedicated cleaner like the one you mentioned?

You know, I learn something everyday here at TSG. Thanks in advance for your advice :)

BillC

5. brindle

brindle

Hey Brindle,

I noticed your post and wanted to ask a question about it.

1. How do you access your index.dat files; where do they live?

there are many viewers available here is one. If you do a file find for index.dat you will see they are located in four different places.

2. Do programs like washers and cleaners clear those files? Or do you need a dedicated cleaner like the one you mentioned?
    No they don't clean up the index.dat files a program like I suggested is necessary, again there are several to choose from.

You know, I learn something everyday here at TSG. Thanks in advance for your advice

BillC

6. KeithKman

KeithKman

Is there any program besides delindex.bat I can get to delete stuff inside the index?

7. brindle

brindle

KeithKman
    Yes there is just do a google search for deleting index.dat

8. deh

deh

The program provided (delinex.bat) only works up to Windows ME so if you have Windows 9x or me you will be alright. however anything newer it won't work or as it appears according to the web site.

Here is a program I found to be a little better. Not only does it clean out your index.dat but is also a thorough cleaner of other things including:

registry entries
    common spyware
    cookies
    temporary internet files
    etc.

Bottom line this is a multi purpose cleaner that does clean up index.dat and history.dat

Have a look, scroll down and you can see the many features it has and download if you like:

http://www.x9000.net/

9. brindle

brindle

thanks for that link Deh, will check it out

10. KeithKman

KeithKman

I got wen.zip...how do I get it working? I am on XP Pro.

I extracted all the files to C:\Xen and now I see 6 files. Do I click on xen.bat file?

11. deh

deh

Yes run xen.bat. I boot to command prompt and run it.
    After you run this it will make an OS specific bat file for doing the index.dat clean. This will be in the Xen folder as well. I believe further details are in the readme file.

No problem brindle.

12. KeithKman

KeithKman

I closed my eyes when I clicked on xen.bat

works awesome...sweet program.

13. BillC

BillC

Brindle and others,

I wanted to see what my index.dat files looked like. There were plenty, but I think some got cleaned along the way. Anyway, the program I used to discover them WinSpy was detected as a "spy" by one of the security sentinels I have watching my machine. Frankly, I think this would be 'normal' because of the nature of this application. Anyway, this is what it said:

This spy is a: System Monitor

System monitors are applications designed to monitor computer activity to various degrees. These programs can capture virtually everything you do on your computer including recording all keystrokes, emails, chat room dialogue, web sites visited, and programs run. System monitors usually run in the background so that you do not know that you are being monitored. The information gathered by the system monitor is stored on your computer in an encrypted log file for later retrieval. Some programs are capable of emailing the log files to another location.

Traditionally, system monitors had to be installed by someone with administrative access to your computer, such as a system administrator or someone that shares your computer. However, there has been a recent wave of system monitoring tools disguised as email attachments or "freeware" software products.

No further information is available about this spy.

Just in case someone else tries the WinSpy program. I appreciate the information in this thread.

Thanks,

BillC

14. KeithKman

KeithKman

after I delete the stuff in my index file with xen do I need to restart my PC, or am I fine?

15. KeithKman

KeithKman

I opened Recycle Bin and at the top under the address bar thing it says:

::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Why?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice