1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Icon not in tray

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by richocki, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

The icon indicating connection to the WEB is no longer displayed in the system tray. How do I get it back? I am connected to the internet but with out that icon i do not know how to disconnect.

I have gone to Control Panal - Internet Connections but there are no connections listed (?) Could that be the problem - and if so what do I do?

2. kshitijdivakar

kshitijdivakar

When you are dailing or connecting from the internet you will find properties button on the dial up window. click and somewhere you will file "Show notification Icon when connected" option click and check it on.

Otherwise go to control panel >> in the left panel click "Switch to classic" then you will find "Phone and Modem Option" where if you look somewhere you will find "Show notfication Icon when connected" then check it on.

3. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

kshitijdivakar - Thanks for the reply

I may have more going on then I originally thought.
    I never get a dial up window. I click on a short cut that is in the Quick Launch Menu on the Taskbar. Before my icons disappeared I would get a dial up window now and then, maybe all the time but I wasn't always paying attention. The short cut runs RASPHONE.exe -d.

My Control Panel is set for classic view. When I open Phone and Modems I see MY LOCATION - 860 (my area code) in the Dialing rules. Under Modems I have listed a Robtics v.92 modem that I used when I had dial up service - I have DSL now using a SpeedStream modem supplied by my provider. Under the Advanced tab I have various service provider entries such as - Microsoft H.323 Telephony service provider
    Microsoft HID Phone TSP
    Microsoft Multicast Conference TAPI service
    Windows Remote service provider
    NDIS proxy TAPI service provider
    TAPI Kernel-mode service provider
    Unimodem 5 service provider
    I don't think any of that is being used - but what do I know :confused:
    Under Control Panel -- System -- Hardware -- Device Manager Network adapters I have --
    1394 Net Adapter and Nvidia nForca MCP Networking Adapter

The icons disappeared about 3 days or so ago (one showing the modem was connected which was always there and the other showed up when I went on line) . I have always connected to the internet by using the short cut in the Quick Launch Menu.

I had backed up or made a duplicate internet connection (in case I lost the default one) and I remember seeing them listed, I thought on the Control Panel -- Network Connections
    page but like I said there is nothing listed there now.

I hope this sheds more light on my problem. As it is now I have no way of disconnecting from the Internet if I am doing something that does not require being on line. I am really confused on this :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice