1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Incredibly Slow at Night

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Blakeasd, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakeasd

Blakeasd Thread Starter

Hello,

For the past several months my internet has been almost unusable from nine at night to around five in the morning. I can't watch videos on YouTube or even download files. Typically speaking, from this span of time when I try to download a file I get around 65kb per second. During the day I can get around a megabyte a second. Oddly, at night and during the day my speedtest.net results are the same. I don't think traffic where I live would be a problem because I wouldn't expect a lot of people even being awake. Does anyone think they known this would be this way?

2. gurutech

gurutech

How many computers are on your home network? Do you have a router/firewall between your computer and the cable/dsl/fios modem?

I would power off the router, then the cable modem (not "sleep mode", but OFF), wait about a minute, then turn on the cable modem, let that boot up completely, then power on the router, let that boot, and then test your connection speeds. http://www.speedtest.net is a good place to test your speeds.

If you are still having slow speeds, contact your ISP and tell them you are experiencing slow internet connections. They will have you do a bunch of troubleshooting, but tell them you have already done each step (even if you haven't.) Ask that they either check the lines (remotely) or send someone out to your home to check lines. If a tech comes to your house, they should be able to replace the cable/dsl/fios modem if needed.

If replacing the modem doesn't work, check to make sure you have the most current firmware version for your router. Also you may need to reset your router to factory defaults (cycle power while holding in the button on the back of the router).

Test again, and if that still fails, then replace your router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice