1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet is half speed after ISP did something

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Biscuity, Apr 10, 2013.

?

What kind of problem is this?

1. ISP is causing it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Router settings are causing it

100.0%
  3. Hard to say

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biscuity

Biscuity Thread Starter

Hi again...

My internet is normally 4-6 (sometimes higher) mbps download, .5 upload. It dropped to .1 on a wired and 2 wireless connections. Called ISP they said everything was testing fine until they finally found a problem on the line and they said it needed to be reinforced and it was their fault. They did that, and the speed went up to 2.5 mbps. They said a tech would need to come out and check for physical problems on my end.. the card in the box down the street and cables and such. They replaced the card to be safe, checked the other stuff, no speed improvement.

The tech tested the speed at the box outside, 12 mpbs. He came inside and tested the line directly, 12 mbps.
    When I was running a traceroute the other day, it would always get stuck on one of there servers in louisiana before passing the signal. I have a feeling the problem isn't with my router but with whatever one guy did on their software end. He said barely anyone still has the copper connections which makes me think its not really a priority for them to care about the connection and most people are using the fiber optic which my landlord doesn't want to switch to for another few months.

I called them back to let them know the guy who i talked to before who said the problem would "definitely be fixed" after the tech came out and they said the tech is gonna have to do tests on the router which is fine if they aren't going to charge me, which they probably will, and alas the tech didn't call or come by.

So if i call them back, i feel like im just going to get the run around again. The first time i must have had a higher tier tech support answer. The last time I got some guy who was just messaging someone over text and they said that "everything was fine".

any of my settings look off? any help appreciated!

The tech mentioned something about my router using legacy and maybe they didnt configure it right or something, i dont know. Heres a lot of my settings attached as pics...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      98 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      76.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Netghost56

Netghost56

Why are you using 802.11b ? Doubt its an issue but that's a pretty old standard. Most wireless today uses 802.11g or 802.11n.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Since it's happening on wired and wireless connections, the wireless type would not be affecting the main connections.

This is normal. Some servers/routers will not respond to the requests, but will still let you go forward.

I don't think that would be the issue since you already had 12Mbps speed. Now I can't say this is true for DSL service, but for cable internet, your noise level appears to be low, which may be your issue.

4. Biscuity

Biscuity Thread Starter

ironically i use that wireless setting because this particular gateway does not perform correctly under the other settings. It will allow my computer to work fine but will constantly cause problems for my roommates laptop and she has to keep manually reconnecting every time she restarts. Its a known issue but firmware hasnt fixed it or whatever.

what can be done about the noise level?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    noise needs to be fixed by a field technician... double check with the ISP if that level is adequate... I suspect at the time of the snapshot it was low.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1095722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice