1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet is slow, but says 100Mbps

Discussion in 'Networking' started by danielstoops, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danielstoops

danielstoops Thread Starter

Hi,

On my computer, when I go onto the internet when it loads a page it is really slow. Yet it says it is going at 100Mbps (so it should go a lot faster than it is). I am connected by LAN (by a wire) to a wireless router. I don't know how to connect to the internet wirelessly so I just use the cable.

Can you help to speed up this connection or connect me wirelessly to the internet?

Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

The 100Mbps speed is between your computer and the router. It is going to be faster than what you would get with a wireless connection to the router.

Do you have some kind of modem between your router and actual Internet connection? What kind of Internet Service do you have?

3. danielstoops

I connect the computer to the internet via the router with a cable. I'm not sure that is what you're talking about. If not, could you explain what a modem is please.

Thanks

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

You can not have an Internet connection with just a computer plugged into a router. The router needs some way of accessing the Internet. How does the router get connected to the Internet?

Are you using some type of residential service such as DSL or high speed cable?

5. DerekIT

DerekIT

Or even simpler, what is your router connected to other than your computer?

6. danielstoops

Oh, I get it now!!! High speed cable.

7. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

You have a modem/wireless router. High speed cable is usually from 10 Mbps to 20 Mbps down speed. Can you access your modem/router's setup pages?

8. danielstoops

Yer, you mean like enter in its gateway. By the way, i'm not sure if this is important, but i'm using my laptop to get to the internet (just thought that might help in anyway).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/810283