internet is working but programs on th computer wont connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DesignationZ2

I have just made this account so I am worried I may be posting this is the wrong place, if I am I am sorry. But that aside i need some help.
first I use windows ten and my computer is A lenovo. Thats what it has on it so i think i am right.I just bought it in January.
that aside, I cant seem to get any of the programs on my computer to connect to the internet, programs like skype and steam more specifically. Theyre the only two programs that cant be opened in the computer browser so im thinking that thats a sign of something. The internet on my computer works fine, i can go though stuff on the internet and make calls like skype with fb messenger just fine. Im posting this on the google chrome browser right now.
Wifi and internet are working perfectly in that aspect. even when i travel to the library and school and use that wifi there everything is fine with browser based things, but these programs no matter what wifi I connect to tell me that they are having trouble connecting and cant do it. They both used to work pretty ok. I was playing a video game that i cant play anymore because I cant connect to steam and i can no longer share screens with my friend to help me do homework because of skype.
my friend told me to uninstall them and reinstall them a few times but ive done them both exactly 8 times and It is the same result over and over.

Attachments

etaf

Wayne
moved to networking forum

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past/
Any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee which are often pre-installed on PCs
Or any other free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

It maybe blocking access to those program

Lenovo , usually come with a trial version of mcafee - have you removed mcafee or have you purchased a full version ?

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you are running the trial version of McAfee and have not paid for a subscription then you will need to uninstall the program and run the removal tool

Mcafee Removal Tool
I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time or even a third time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of Mcafee from the PC

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

--------------------------------------------------------------

DesignationZ2

I removed it. It fixed skype and now it is working fine. I now have an entirely different problem with steam but im thinking that perhaps it would go into a different category for help maybe???? it wont let me log in even though all my information is correct. but yes i think that is something I should put a request for help for somewhere else right?

etaf

Wayne
yes, maybe worth starting a new thread
BUT first - clear all cookies, history and tempfiles

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online