1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Issues in New Apartment

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheInformer, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheInformer

TheInformer Thread Starter

Recently I moved into this apartment and found that the bandwidth would suddenly just go from 20mb/s to about 2mb/s at around 5 or so when everyone was home. This wouldnt be a problem if my room mates' connections stayed at a steady 15-30mb/s. Many times the internet will slow down to the point of being unable to load anything. The apartment has access points rather than me owning a router so fiddling with that is hard unless i call support but everytime they try to fix it, they cant find the problem. Any ideas of what could be limiting my bandwidth?

I've updated my drivers, played around with different settings trying to make it as high performance as possible, turning off firewalls does nothing, multiple resets havent changed anything, no programs are hogging bandwidth.

One thing i was wondering is if the access points were getting confusing my laptop but i have no idea.

Some information about my network:
    http://my.jetscreenshot.com/5579/20121105-n0ym-217kb.jpg
    Random other stuff just incase:
    http://my.jetscreenshot.com/5579/20121105-fmjd-139kb.jpg

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3893 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1722 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 458284 MB, Free - 46013 MB; D: Total - 18350 MB, Free - 2658 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 89 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 146A
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Disabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so when you slow down , your room mates PC is fast and working OK - or does that also slow down - not sure i understand the above
    so its just your PC that has the problem and noone else in the apartment or apartment block ?
    correct

3. TheInformer

ya that is correct. Ill be extremely slow while they have good speeds.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the first (Xirrus) screen shot during good times or bad? Does it look significantly different during the other condition?

When things get bad have you tried (if we're dealing with laptops) switching places with your roommate to see if this problem is computer specific or location specific?

5. TheInformer

The screen shots during a bad time. i'll take a Xirrus screen shot of it when its at a good time I've tried moving around the apartment and sometimes it gets better but many times it stays the same. I'll run location tests when i get back home.

Just a layout of our apartment:
    http://my.jetscreenshot.com/5579/20121105-coxg-51kb.jpg

I'll update it with tests of each area of the apartment.

6. TheInformer

The internet for some reason is doing very good now. Which is surprising but heres a screen shot of xirrus when my internet is good.
    http://my.jetscreenshot.com/5579/20121105-jqdv-209kb.jpg

I'll run some tests of my bandwidth in different places in my apartment when internets not so good because it seems very random when its good. Anywhere between 10-20mb/s with multiple tests in each area.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I only see two small differences between the "bad" and "good" Xirrus. At the good time the signal is a bit stronger (-40 vs. -47 dBm) and there is a bit bigger strength difference between it and the other channel 1 signals (17 and 19 vs. 15 and 18 dBm). If your adapter is having difficulty with interference from one or both those other channel 1's maybe those differences are just enough to be significant.

8. TheInformer

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A possibility is interference that Xirrus cannot detect and that is stronger in your room; for example, a 2.4 GHz cordless phone or baby monitor.

10. TheInformer

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Thanks for posting your solution, and glad the USB adapter is working well.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice