1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jlytle16, May 26, 2019.

1. jlytle16

jlytle16 Thread Starter

So I've been having issues with my internet. I live with my in-laws and we split the internet. We have 100mb down and 20mb up. When my father-in-law isn't home my computer works great. I can play Apex Legends online without any lag. Even when My mother-in-law and wife are home, I have 0 issues. He downloads lots of videos via torrents EVERYDAY... At first I thought it was my wifi card, which is old about 3-5 years, so I bought a new one. Still having issues. My speed doesn't change I normally get around 30-40mb down and 18-20mb up, even when he is home.

How can I fix whatever the problem is.. is this just because he's downloading all the time or is it a connection problem on my end. I am about 30-40 ft (10-14 metres) away from the router..

I was told that older phones/devices could slow down internet, could it be his iPhone 5 or his windows 7 computer?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8131 Mb (I'm upgrading to 16GB shortly)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 118 GB (63 GB Free); E: 1397 GB (1135 GB Free); F: 232 GB (231 GB Free); G: 931 GB (871 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., H110M-A/M.2
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's feasible to do it without someone tripping over it or pulling it out, purchase a 50' - 75' long CAT5e or CAT6 cable, then connect it between your computer and the router.
    You should be able to get a faster and more stable connection by using ethernet instead of wireless.

If it's available, have you discussed with your in-laws the possibility of upgrading to a faster speed plan and sharing the extra cost?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The thing you need to know about torrents is that it uses the upload/upstream even if he is not downloading because he is seeding the movies/files back out to people that need it.

While I understand that 20MB upload is a lot, but add other people to an upstream that is already being utilized would cause slowness, especially if you are playing an online game that requires upstream usage, which is what could be the issue here.

If your ISP has the ability (I'm sure they do, but won't admit it), see if they can check the upstream bandwidth usage when he is at home.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice