1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet links don't work & printers offline

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fred615, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred615

fred615 Thread Starter

I have a Desktop and Laptop running Win 7 SP1 and I use Thunderbird on the desktop and Firefox on both. I have 2 Brother printers that are used with both as well as with a Win 8.1 laptop used by my wife. I have the Comcast router/modem combo (installed 4-5 months ago).

My desktop is a custom built quad CPU that is about 1.5 years old and has been working great except for about 6 times during the past year when it refused to wake up after sleeping. Each time I had to manually kill the power and restart.

Two weeks ago I noticed one day that my desktop would not connect to the printers. About the same time I noticed that links in my portal page (Yahoo.com) would not work and could not connect to any other website from a bookmark or typed entry. I also noted that links contained within Thunderbird emails also would not work and banners and some other images that were referenced but not embedded would only display as blank boxes. But, the emails can be sent and received.

I went through the usual reconnect sequence for one printer and even though it indicated it was connected, I still could not send a print job from the desktop. However both laptops were still able to print to at least one of the printers. I called Brother and after they remotely did a few things they were stumped and took a look at some of my system files and told me they suspected a trojan horse was in my desktop and had turned off many system applets. Brother put me in touch with a software/networking troubleshooting company that spent a number of hours poking around and uninstalling a few apps and installed MalwareBytes Pro with no immediate results. I noticed a day or two later that the Win7 laptop stopped talking to the printers. They got it to talk to one printer, but that failed again in 3-4 days. They have now worked on my desktop 6 or 7 times in the last 11 days with no real progress. They keep asking me to check my internet connection but obviously since my PC does bring up Firefox and Thunderbird and my Win8 laptop is working fine, there is no problem with the internet connection.

Now for the weird news; everything I mentioned above occurred while in normal Windows mode including the fact that I could send and receive emails but could not access any links within them and my other Win8.1 laptop wasn't affected by any of this. Also in normal mode I can use virtually all of my graphics and business apps with no problem; just can't access websites (other than my portal) or properly use email. However, when I operate the desktop in SAFE mode, I can access any website or link within Firefox or Thunderbird or IExplorer. But a few of my other apps don't work right. And the WIN7 laptop is getting worse; it no longer is connected to the internet and won't let me reconnect. Plus it tells me to check the Win Security Service for an issue but then it says it can't start that service.

My friend who built this PC, and my previous 2 or 3, has heard that Microsoft might have put out an update recently that has been causing problems similar to this but he said when they do, a fix usually follows quickly via a new update. He is doing some research into this. Has anyone any knowledge of Microsoft sending our a bad update? Or other viruses or Trojan Horses that might be causing all this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My first suspect would be a security application. What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the problem system(s)?

3. fred615

fred615 Thread Starter

Nothing was found that would normally raise a red flag, but it appears that either there was a glitch in a Win7 update or hackers are placing a line or two in the registry that inhibits using some functions such as printing to a specific printer. The IT consulting outfit stepped me through a re-install of Win7 yesterday and I was able to get a printer and the internet to work. Unfortunately, I now have many hours ahead of me re-installing dozens of my programs..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice