1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet loses connection at intervals

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BluesSlinger, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BluesSlinger

BluesSlinger Thread Starter

I am using a desktop pc. I connect through an antenna on my roof. I believe it is an RF signal but could be microwave. Cable comes down my wall into a Linksys router and to my computer. We use the router because we also have a laptop. It had been working fine for a long time with no trouble. Now it disconnects from the internet about every 1/2 hour like clockwork. I have to unplug the power to the router and plug it back in to get my connection back. Even when the connection is lost the internet light on the router is still on. My provider can't find the problem either. He monitored the signal for 24 hrs from their tower to my antenna and it showed no interruptions. It has to be somewhere from the antenna to the router. I originally though my router was bad so I bought a new one and it still does the same thing. I thought it might be something in my computer so I connected my secondary desktop up and it still does the same thing. :mad:

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

There should be another device (modem) between the atnenna and the router

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the make/model of that Linksys router? I suspect it would have to be a modem/router for this connection to work.

From your description, I'd say the next logical step would be to replace the antenna and cable.

4. invalidusername

invalidusername

He bought a router himself. Since it souds like a wireless broadband service (which may ues that canapy type antenna), I doubt it he could have bought the transmiter/reciever of that type of service from the store by himself. That is why I said there is another peice of equipment involved.

Unless the radio is installed in the antenna package?

5. JohnWill

There are wireless services that actually 802.11g, but I suspect you are likely correct that there is a receiver somewhere. The ISP would clearly be responsible for this piece of equipment I would imagine.

6. JohnWill

Can you plug the cable that comes into the router directly into your computer and get connected? If so, does that have the same issues?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice