1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet not connecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ijusth, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ijusth

ijusth Thread Starter

upgraded the PC from Win98se to XP and now getting no internet connectivity. I am going to try ipconfig /release and renew but if that doesn't succeed are there any other things to try? I am running through a linksys befsr41. One odd thing is using IE to talk to the router, I put in 192.168.1.1 and get the page not found message.

2. ijusth

ijusth Thread Starter

interesting that you cant update or edit your posts but i digress:

just an update - did an ipconfig/ release and of course that was fine but then when I did the /renew it timed out as unable to contact dhcp server. I figured that meant maybe a bad nic install so I did a uninstall and let xp reinstall and still nada (btw you cant uninstall tcp/ip which I had considered doing too)

arrrgghhh

3. Del

Del

In the Network Panel, is the tcp/ip set to obtain ip address automatically selected?

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi ijusth, Welcome to TSG !!
    Try this thread see if it helps
    [​IMG]

5. ijusth

ijusth Thread Starter

already saw this thread and it doesn't go to the fact that the other two comps work fine - only the one fails. It doesn't renew the ip right either - doesn't connect to the dhcp server and then it came up with some wierd ip address

6. Del

Del

7. ijusth

ijusth Thread Starter

verified that the setting was on automatic

also tried to ping myself and the gateway and nada but I will try the stuff above and keep ya posted

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice