Internet not working on work PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pr0wler

I have a second PC I use strictly for work, and I have been trouble getting it to stay reliably connected to the internet.

First I noticed that the date/time was repeatedly incorrect, to which I had to constantly change and update. Maybe a virus? The internet would stay connected for between 1-5 hours, then disconnect and I'd have to reboot to get it going. I reformatted the computer figuring this would solve the issue...it's still there.

I've tried internet via tethering, wireless (w/ USB wireless adapter), and direct connection with CAT5 and I haven't found any discernible difference in reliability, or unreliability as it seems.

Really not sure where to go from here considering I've reformatted the computer and I'm still having trouble staying connected via various forms of internet.

Okay, this seems like you need to replace the CMOS battery, which holds the correct date & time when the PC is turned off (among other things). If the date & time drifts too far from the correct settings, this will affect your ability to connect to websites.

pr0wler

I just did a quick Google, I think this might be right. It's weird because the computer runs fine other than the date and time being wrong (even after format)....I don't suspect any virus as it doesn't seem to be behaving in that fashion. I have one of these batteries lying around I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if that fixes things.

pr0wler

I changed the battery, and I'm loading up the PC. It is connected to the new monitor I bought in the other thread...which works perfectly fine using the DisplayPort.

But when I connect it with this PC, it seems to work fine upon booting up...I hear the Windows 7 startup sound but the screen just sort of goes blank on what I assume is the login screen. I've had issues like this before with other PC's which is extremely frustrating, like not sure if the screen is being recognized properly or not and since nothing appears I am unable to fix anything. Sigh.

I changed the battery, and I'm loading up the PC.
Did you go into BIOS and check the settings were correct? If so, I recommend following what Darrin suggested in the previous post, i.e. seeing if you can boot into Safe Mode.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online