1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by guitarist968, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

I have 4 computers all networked on a wired network in my house. They all work fine except for one. It is brand new-
    Pentium 4 2.6ghz, 512 mb DDR SDRAM, 120gb hard drive, WIN XP home edition.

The problem is wierd . I can browse the internet, like going on websites. I can access the other computers on my network. But I cannot play any of my on-line games, there is no connection. I cannot check my email with outlook express since it wont connect.

The Win XP Firewall is disabled. I checked for spyware and viruses and found nothing. The wierd thing is that it was working and then after I restored the system (which i had to do a week after buying it cause it always froze) , it no longer worked with these programs.

Please Help!!

Thanks.

2. dai

dai

you may have to reinstall your dns/tcip setting

3. BillC

BillC

Did you look in your Browser's internet options security settings to make sure permission is allowed for what is needed? I guess you don't have a firewall other than XP?

4. guitarist968

Im pretty sure i did that all properly.

Here is the message I am getting when I try to use outlook:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I still cannot connect to any games. I just found out this morning that none of the computers on my network work with games or outlook express.

please help....

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy guitarist968...

See this from Mocrosoft...

Also by any chance do you have port 110 blocked in the router ?

6. guitarist968

ok i checked out the link. could you tell me how to check if port 110 is blocked? i dont know anything about ports.

and i do have norton internet security on every computer. when i clicked on the link to norton on the microsoft website it didnt work.

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ahhh...

Can you temporally disable the Norton Internet security...

Looks like it is interfering...

8. guitarist968

its not norton. i did get to the page you linked to. i used to have ATT broadband and it was changed to comcast. i changed the settings. the wierd thing is that it worked on my other 3 computers and suddenly stopped also.

i also tryed disabling norton. still no luck.

this seems to be a problem with all computers on my network.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...

If I get this right. You are able to surf the web through the router, but you are unable to send or receive Email, or play games, but you were able to under ATT on all pc's...

Also the link I provided is working now ?

10. guitarist968

actually i never had ATT (sorry, i put wrong information). I have had comcast for little less than a year, and it has always worked with other computers, and even the new one.

everything else is correct. no gaming or email. i can connect to AIM and internet explorer though.

yes the link worked. i called comcast. my settings are correct. i disabled norton, no luck.

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok post the make and model of the Cable/Dsl router ( assuming you are using a router, and not a switch, or hub )...

Also... let's pick one pc and connect it directly to the Modem ( you may have to power down both Modem and PC, then power up the Modem, wait about 5 min, then the PC ), and see if it will work on the PC...

12. guitarist968

ok...

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router. I just updated the firmware.

I connected a PC to the cable modem directly. I was able to play my online games again!

I could still not connect to Outlook Express. I even tried disabling Norton.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Allright we are getting somewhere...

Hate to say this but back up your contacts and mail, looks like the OE profile is corrupt ( went through this a month ago ), and with the games, and router, not 100% sure, looks like maybe someting got corrupt with the firmware upgrade, may want to try it again...

In OE...backup the contacts, and mail if any, delete the account and recreate the account ( it's what I had to do to get OE to work, and yes it did happen out of the blue )...

14. guitarist968

well i deleted my account from outlook express. I recreated it and I am getting the same error message. I tried diabling Norton again also.

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...my friend I hate to tell you this, but someting is up with your POP3 account with Comcast, suggest giving them another call, hate to suggest it but need to make sure the POP3 info is correct ( took me 4 tries with my ISP to get my email working, first 3 guy's didn't know what I was talking about, the last guy knew about a POP3 change in the server )...

The games, we'll work on that one after OE is working...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice