1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet not working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by danswer, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danswer

danswer Thread Starter

I cannot connect to the INTERNET, i get a message that says detecting proxy settings and then cannot find page message appears. I tried reinstalling xp again and the INTERNET is working, but i need it to work with the original xp because my files are there.

2. BillC

BillC

We need more information I think. Have you d/l any programs or opened any e-mail attachments just before this happened? Does your e-mail client still send/recieve? Have you added any hardware like a router? Have you recycled your modem by unplugging it?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you did an "upgrade/reinstall" all your files should still be there. If you did a full setup, then they are gone for good.

You shoud have done a "System Restore". That would most likely have corrected the connectivity problem and saved all your files. Additionally you would not have to reinstall all updates, as you do with either a new installation or a reinstall.

Or do I interpret your post to mean you installed XP into a new folder, so that you have parallel installations? You can still do a "system restore" on the first, if that is the case.

4. danswer

danswer Thread Starter

i have two windows xp on my computer, the new one i installed connects to the internet but the image looks shaky. I want to connect using the old xp because it has my files.

what is weird is that i can connect to kazaa and download, but i cant get on the net

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It might help if you post a HijackThis Scanlog for the problem system. You will just have to copy the file over to it to run it.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

What I will recommend is that you run the lspfix program below. It will repair many problems caused by alterations of the protocol stack without any special action on your part. However in some cases one must manually move entries to the "remove" window and tell it you know what you are doing. In order to know what should be manually moved, if anything, we'd need to see the HijackThis log.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice