1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet not working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TracyM, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TracyM

TracyM Thread Starter

Forgive me as my knowledge is extremely limited, however I will do my best to describe my problem. Recently, my Dell Laptop was sent back to the depot and was reformatted. When I got it home, the internet worked okay but I found it to be unstable (booting me off from time to time) I noticed that Intel Proset wireless was managing the connection and I thought that perhaps, that was the problem. I tried on my own (not very successfully I might add) to switch to windows to monitor it instead. I then went into administrative tools and played with the wireless zero? option but it didn't seem to want to "start". My nephew told me to delete the proset wireless software from add/remove programs. I did so but it didn't solve the problem (although now the zero wireless conf indicated that it was "started" and windows seem to have taken over). I restored my computer back to an earlier point and the software was back --- however I am not able to get on the internet now at all (it says page cannot be displayed). It says I am connected and the signal strength is strong. My nephew had me "ping" the connection and all seems well with the wireless card and the connection. It is receiving the connection but not allowing me to access "out" onto the web?? I hope I am explaining this right. My nephew thinks that maybe something happened to the driver(s) when I deleted the software and then restored it? I have no idea where to turn.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    Here are some things that the techs here will find useful to know.

The “Johnwill” need to know about your environment questionnaire:

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

What country are you located in.
    Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    What is the expected Upstream/Downstream speed for your ISP Connection?
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make and model of your computer.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms? Have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way? Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Also,try disabling any firewalls that you have running on both machines.
    Also,this thread may be better served by moving it to the networking forum using that report function

3. Pollex

Pollex

Definately make sure that your firewall is set up correctly to allow IE to access the internet.
    Then, check to make sure IE is Auto detecting your settings. This is located in Tools-Settings- Connections tab - Settings + LAN settings. Make sure the first option in each are checked. Apply, close your browser. Re-open browser. Don't worry if home page doesn't load, just try to load www.google.com.

Then, if the previous doesn't work try clearing your dns cache, and doing a TCP/IP stack reset. To do this you would:
    - Goto your Command Prompt < Start - type cmd in the search field - right click the cmd with a black box next to it, and choose "Run as administrator". Aggree to the Windows prompt. If you are in XP, then just Start - Run - type "cmd" in the box and click ok to open. XP doesn't require you to "Run as administrator", but Vista will, even if you are already currently logged in as the administrator.

- Type: ipconfig /flushdns
    - Type: ipconfig /registerdns
    - Type: NETSH winsock int ip reset resetlog.txt
    - Type: netsh winsock reset
    - Close the Command Prompt box.
    - Restart your computer.
    - Load browser, and once again, don't worry if the home page doesn't come up, or a "you are working offline" message pops up. If you get the working offline, just uncheck that option under the "File" menu in IE. Just type in another website like www.google.com, and if that still doesn't come up then it's something else. Possibly a selective startup is in order.

Let's see what happens first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice