Internet on one computer on the network, not the others.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kingcobweb

Here's the full story: we have DSL and a router hooking it up to the 4 computers in the house. One evening I was on the internet and it was going up and down, the usual sketchy internet. Then it went down all together, so we reset the router, the modem, all the computers... nothing worked. No internet. Here's the weird part: one computer on the network still has internet, and another one can get internet occasionally for a couple minutes. What is the problem, and what should I do about it?

are you using the public IPs? posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.

kingcobweb

blin said:
are you using the public IPs? posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.
All computers show completely normal things in ipconfig (192.168.10.101/102/103/104), and all have the same default gateway. All computers can access the router.

kingcobweb

I really hate to do this, but I must bump this. The 1 computer that had internet was a laptop that my stepfather took on a business trip, so I now have no internet whatsoever (logging in from a health club at the moment). Please, please, please help me.

I'm not a seasoned professional, but I just finished installing a home network with dsl modem and linksys router, and after much aches and pain I have 4 computers with internet connection. One gotcha that cleared up a lot of problems is when you configure each client pc for the modem, make sure they are set to "Bridged ethernet" and the router is set to "PPPoe". Chances are, the router and modem both have the capacility to act as a router but you have to let just the router do that job if you have multiple pc's to connect. Just a thought.

johnwill said:
Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that you have that working with the Bridge, and that's certainly not the proper configuration.
Actually...the scenario he describes happened to me, which is why I chimed in. The setup is documented here. "Proper" or not, it works for me.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The Bridged Connection in your reference is referring to the router configuration, not the Network Bridge in the TCP/IP connection, perhaps you should be more clear. :)

kingcobweb

Well, after 3 1/2 days without internet, we decided to hire a professional. Here's what the problem was: when the router/modem were reset, they were reset to factory defaults, meaning set up for 1 user, not 4. The problem was fixed.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
To "reset" a router, you just need to power cycle it. To "reset to factory defaults", you hold the reset button in for an extended period of time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online