1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet on the street

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slowsmokex, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slowsmokex

slowsmokex Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am hoping to get reliable, fast internet on one computer in the middle of a street in Brooklyn, New York. No 3G or 4G: I want to be able to connect to Wifi. The reason I will be needing this is for a live broadcast, so we will be hooking a laptop up to a camera and send the data to our clients.
    I've had suggestions of renting an RV van and connecting from there: is this possible?
    I guess we could also borrow someone else's internet.
    Please let me know if there are any other options, and how I would go about making it happen.
    Thank you :)

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    I tried to look for internet connections but I don't if New York has a free public connection. Searching for MAN connections turns up all personal classified ads in New York :|

Falling short of connections like Starbucks/McDonalds I don't know if there is a way. There are air connections with Sprint/AT&T but I don't know if they will have enough speed for your work.

3. slowsmokex

Hi Couriant,
    Thank you for your response. So the only option would be wifi, or I'm guessing, to pull an ethernet cable from a nearby establishment..
    Thanks a lot, much help.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Check with the Chamber of Commerce for New York, they should be able to provide a list of ISPs that has wireless connections.

Perhaps Clearwire may be an option? as long as you have power to their device that should work.

5. pauseleplague

pauseleplague

Former New Yorker here. Using the Starbucks or McDonalds Wi-Fi is a Bad Idea. There will be residential apartments nearby that may siphon off internet from these locations, exhausting the bandwidth. A live broadcast is not ideal from these public locations.

6. slowsmokex

Thank you for your replies.
    I will check with the Chamber of Commerce, and not use Starbux/McDs.
    Much appreciated!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice