1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet only avaible for laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by waawa, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waawa

waawa Thread Starter

So I have in my house a DSL router that provides wireless internet around the house, My laptop has buit-in wifi connector.

The internet connection on my pc was made by a C-Net usb flash wireless device,I was not the one who made the connection settings, it was a local computer store employee.
    Today I updated my pc and I pluged the usb wireless drive and it doesnt work it shows no connections of my router (D-Link) it use to say on Networks and Connections:D-Link something- that was my internet connection.
    Only my laptop can get internet my pc is completly blank..I need help to get internt connection back on pc.

laptop - Windows Vista
    pc- Windows XP (formated yesterday)

2. onca

onca

Could you give us the exact model of your usb wireless adapter? It seems that the adapter isn't plug and play; it needs drivers.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    Generally when you have a connection issue after a format,it is a driver issue.
    So,take a look at device manager on the pc:
    Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    Both 2 and 3 could indicate driver trouble.
    The best place to get drivers is on your pc makers web site.Download and install in this order:
    chipset driver if available then network adapter drivers and drivers for any other device that appears to be in error status.
    And follow onca's suggestion on the usb wireless adapter.From the manufacturers web site
    4. should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice