1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet only works when connected with Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Emma99, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Emma99

Emma99 Thread Starter

I only have internet access on the computer that is connected to it. The cell phone and laptop don't have internet. After I went to computer Management this image is what turned out. I think this problem started to happen after I tried to download a driver (HS4) and install it from the internet. I connected the Ethernet cable to laptop, but there is only internet in laptop and not in other devices.
    How can I solve it?

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Emma99, and welcome to TSG.

Were all three devices able to connect to the Internet at the same time at one time at your current location? If so, were there any changes to your networking hardware?

How are you getting your Internet service? Is it your own residential service, at school, at work, etc?

Am I safe to assume that your cell phone and laptop normally use a WiFi connection for Internet access at your location? If so, what kind of WiFi access point is being used at your location? Have you confirmed the WiFi access point is working?

3. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    I think that the configuration of the AP or Modem has disabled/turned off the wireless connection. Did you check it ?

4. Emma99

Emma99 Thread Starter

Before the problem happened all the three devices could connect to the internet through wifi. The name of Ethernet is Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC. My modem didn't suffer any changes since then.
    I am getting my Internet service through a wifi modem and is my own residential service.
    Yes, my cell phone and laptop used the WiFi connection for Internet. I have not called the company to ask if the service is working. I am using Windows XP.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. Emma99

Emma99 Thread Starter

I try to open my IP Address but it says This site can’t be reached.

6. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    Try the default IP of it. I assume that your router/ap resets.

7. Emma99

Emma99 Thread Starter

I have a Thomson Modem. I managed to open it, but it won't accept my user name and password. I type the same I have used to have wifi internet on my phone and laptop and it worked there, but it is not working in my computer. I also typed admin on both and it doesn't work. Also the WiFi my router provides does not appear available anymore in my cell phone. It is Not in range

8. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    Look for the default gateway on your IP and input it on the browser. That should really work.

9. Emma99

Emma99 Thread Starter

I opened Network Connection Details copied and paste Default Gateway on the browser, but it doesn't accept my user name and password.

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The SSID name and WiFi Encryption key/password are most likely not the same as the username and password needed to access the administration pages of the Modem/WiFi Access Point. If the modem is supplied by your Internet service provider it may be using the default username and password for your particular provider.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice