1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Options- Content Advisor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by apocryphon, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apocryphon

apocryphon Thread Starter

Hi. Work out of an old IBM Thinkpad, use Windows XP. Bought it in used condition, everything fine except that the previous user had blocked access to any web site through Internet Options, Content Advisor. Get the message asking for a password every time I launch Internet Explorer. And I dont know the pass word. Help. Will this go away if i download, say, Mozilla Firefox?

2. Claymore

Claymore

3. apocryphon

Thnx claymore. But the website cannot be accessed. If you are still around please help.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

Here's the instructions from the web page:

How to Remove Content Advisor Password in Internet Explorer

The following steps will remove any password set in the Internet Explorer Content Advisor and allow you to reset the program to its original state.

1) Click on Start and choose Run.

2) Type in regedit and select OK.

3) Now click on the little plus sign to the left of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4) Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version and Policies.

5) Now click on the Ratings folder.

6) In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, you'll see an icon called Key. Right-click on it and press Delete.

7) Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit the Registry Editor. You've just deleted your original Content Advisor password.

8) Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.

9) Choose View and then Internet Options (or Options for version 3.x). For IE 5 or greater, Click on Tools, Internet Options.

10) Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.

5. apocryphon

Thanks a million. It worked like a dream. Was struggling with this the last couple of days. And thanks again. Am in a remote forest area in the heartland of India, dependent on very weak wireless internet. You dont know what this means to me.

6. Claymore

Claymore

Super!
    I'm in a remote forest area in northern Canada, Isn't the internet great?

7. apocryphon

Yes Claymore, its great. However this is new for me. A large dam is being near where I have been working for many years in a missionary school. Some engineer dumped his laptop on me and the Dam has an extensive wireless system which helps me to connect. It is a new tool for me and a new life. Already has me thinking of how to enrich and empower the children at the school.
    I do have another problem. The guy who sold his laptop to me ( for Us$100) has his name on all the programmes and documents. How do I remove his name and put in mine?
    Must be boring for you to help out green horns like me, but I am 250 miles from the nearest town.
    Thanks again.

8. Claymore

Claymore

To business first:

Create an account for yourself:
    Go to Start => Settings => Control Panel => User Accounts
    Click 'Create a new Account'
    Enter your name (e.g. Bob) and click through the setup, making sure you make yourself a 'Computer Administrator'.

Restart the computer and logon to your new account.
    Go to the previous owner's account in My Computer (Explorer) and copy off anything you think you may need.
    I suggest you leave this account for a few days just in case there's something you need from there. After that go to User Accounts in Control Panel and Delete the previous owner's account.

Change the Computer Name
    This can be done manually, but this will make it easy. Download and run this .vbs script (double-click on the downloaded file):
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/computername.vbs

Change the Computer Owner
    Change the Registered Owner with this .vbs script:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/changeownerorg.vbs

The name of the owner should be different from the name of account you just set up. One could be Bob and the other Bob-B, or something.

Restart the computer.

For individual program's registered to the previous owner, this can usually only be fixed by re-installing the program, or searching the Registry for entries with the previous owner's name (Edit => Find and then F3 to find more); and manually Modifying them to yours (right-click on the entry).

=================

I'm also in the sticks. The nearest road is 180 miles away. Been in these parts 40 years. Also work for the Church. Our local pastor is from Chennai. Small world.

9. apocryphon

Thanks again. Am following procedure. Will wait for a couple of days and then complete it, as directed.

Yes, its a small world, but Chennai is 2000 kms away from here and Chennai is civilisation. Your pastor wouldnt know Sironj in the heartlands of India.

As said am working out of a wireless connection, which is on and off, so dont be put off by any delay in expressions of gratitude.

40 years in one place? You must have grown deep deep roots!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice