1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Options Missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kbmcruiser, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbmcruiser

kbmcruiser Thread Starter

I am experiencing a same issue as one in a previous thread dated in 2008 thread #699956. Missing internet options in control panel...I experience many difficulties w/ IE 8 running XP Home Edition. Obviously with internet options missing, I cannot tweak anything, missing toolbars, unable to download and upgrade software off the internet in most cases, etc. When I tried to run inetcpl.cpl nothing happens. The solution in the above mentioned thread was to get the XP CD and extract the file. My pc came preloaded w/ no disk. I have also searched via cmd and file search and located numerous listings of inetcpl.cpl files on my hard drive including system32 folder and servicepackfiles\i386 folder. What are my best options here?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try Start > Run:

C:\Windows\System32\control.exe C:\Windows\System32\inetcpl.cpl

Does anything come up?

3. kbmcruiser

Delayed response was due to vacation...I attempted your run command but nothing happened. I couldn't even cut/paste but double checked to verify the command was correct as typed. I'd appreciate any other avenues you may suggest.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you confirm you are also missing the Internet Options inside IE8 > Tools > Internet Options?

5. kbmcruiser

I do not have a toolbar to speak of with IE8 (no FILE EDIT VIEW FAVORITES TOOLS HELP) and I have tried unsuccessfully to attach a screen shot to show what I'm dealing with. Also, the Internet Options icon exists in the control panel but when clicked, nothing happens.

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What if you right-click an empty space on the toolbar and put a check mark on Menu bar?

You may have to reinstall IE.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!