Solved Internet outage occurs frequently, help please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

templar648

I don't really know where to post this but I think this is the best place to post it.
If not forgive me.

Ok here's my problem:
This just happened all of the sudden. For the past week, I have been experiencing internet outages.
When I experience an internet outage, it happens for like 10 seconds to 7 minutes. It's everything, wired, and wireless. This may happen like 10 times an hour or even more.
I called my ISP several times and they refreshed my internet, said my connection is healthy, and even gave me a free router. Still the same problem.

Temporary odd solution...
I found an odd temporary solution which really confuses me, which might give you guys an idea what's going on?
My solution is for some reason, I just go on my phone, open safari, and go to any website and keep refreshing the page. So for example, I go on my Iphone, go on google.com, and then refresh the page when I experience an outage. I know this definitely works because I just watched a whole season of Vikings, and everytime when the video buffers, hit the refresh button page or use the wi-fi on my phone and it works.

And yes, my phone is using my routers wi-fi.

However, when my dad was using his phone with the wi-fi. He was listening to Pandora and it just suddenly stopped. So I'm assuming that's because of the bad internet.
(P.S. I just used this technique to make this post)

What have I done, will do, and what I have..
I have the Linksys E2500 router.
and I have the Optimum Online router that I ordered for free.

I've switched the routers and I still have the same problem. I have factory resetted both routers a couple of times. I have to say, when factory resetting, I was able to watch netflix for an hour and a half properly but then I stopped because I didn't want to watch.
Right now, I am using the Linksys router. I replaced the ethernet cable from the modem to the router with a brand new ethernet cable and I think it improved only a slight bit but I still have the same problem. My phone line still works when my internet stops working.

What I'm going to do soon is that I am going to replace the modem but I don't think that's going to help because my ISP said I have a stable and healthy connection when they ping it..

and of course I have done the traditional (unplug it for 30 seconds for the modem and router and plug it back in, even the outlet)

Thoughts..

it seems like my cell-phone's wifi could be possibly fine. I remember watching live tv on my phone for about an hour for a couple of times and nothing happened. I remember my brother complaining to me that he can't facetime with his girlfriend because the wi-fi keeps cutting off. Soo.... I don't know why my cell phone is so special. Plus, when I watch youtube videos at night on my phone, they don't buffer at all.

What I am thinking it could be the coaxial cable that could be loose? But I have never checked it because that's in the basement (I live in an apartment so i would have to ask super/landlord) but my ISP said the connection is healthy. At least for the modem.

wifi security: WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode
I DMZed my PC
I port forwarded my xbox one
Internet Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP

i really don't know how to solve this so if anyone could help, please.
Thank you guys so much. if you need more details, please ask me.

Last edited:
Hello,
While your phone sounds cool, it also could be the problem, have you tried using the interwebz while your phone is off?

Also more likely its your plan form your ISP - healthy connection sure, but how much are they giving you.

TerryNet

Terry
What I'm going to do soon is that I am going to replace the modem but I don't think that's going to help because my ISP said I have a stable and healthy connection when they ping it..
They've tested when you are experiencing the problem?

When you are experiencing the internet issue can you access the modem (probably at 192.168.100.1 if really a modem only)? Any hints gained from that?

What brand and model is the modem?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you know if this building is supplying the internet by the way of a modem and router or just a connection block?

If by modem/router then you just may be having a network within a network and the building modem/router is having issues.
There also may be a internet hog on line and is tying up the usage of the connection.

What happens if you connect your computer to the modem with a Cat5 cable and not use the router?

templar648

@KibaFrost
Already a couple of hours in without using my phone's wifi at all, and so far it looks good...
I played a youtube video for an hour and a half long, didn't get disconnected from steam and currently I am watching a random stream on twitch to see if I get disconnected
I haven't dared to turn my wifi on for my cellphone yet.

@TerryNet
arris tm822. After calling them multiple times, it only occurred once that my connection stopped while they were on the phone and that one time they said they were still receiving the signal
And yes, I am still able to connect to the 192.168.1.1 properly.

@DaveA
well, I haven't really tried connecting the modem directly to the computer because my computer is way too far to do that. I have to use my parent's comp.
Yeah, that's what I thought so when I checked the router page and go to the DHCP Client Table, there were only my devices to see if anyone unknown devices is using my internet. But those are only local connection... If they were hogging the whole network, well i don't know what I can do about that.
Nonetheless, I'll try doing that to see if it's a modem thing I guess.

templar648

@TerryNet

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-Touchst...F8&qid=1462063078&sr=8-1&keywords=arris+tm822

Uhm this one. The Arris TM822G if that is correct.

By the way, I think the culprit is my phone. For majority of the day, there wasn't any internet outages when I turned off my wi-fi for my iPhone. Right when I turned it back on, an outage came in eventually. My dad was successfully able to watch Netflix for like 2 hours and I was just watching a random stream on twitch and doing all sorts of stuff without my phone's wifi on. Odd....

TerryNet

Terry
The Arris TM822G is a modem/wireless router combination unit. Is its Wi-Fi enabled? If so, have you checked to make sure its signal and that of your additional router are not interfering with each other?

It may well be that your phone and whichever router to which it connects are not playing nice and causing the outages. Not a common occurrence, but does happen.

templar648

@TerryNet

I don't think it's wi-fi enabled. I've never seen such thing that my modem has its Wi-fi on. If it was on, i think I would've noticed.

Yeah.. I think it is my phone because my internet has been working fine since then. I think I'll just mark this solved.. I'll just restore my phone or factory reset it or something. This has never happened to my phone before. My router and my phone was both getting along together just fine and this just happened all of the sudden.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online