1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Pages Loading Slowly or Not At All

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jhawk613, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhawk613

jhawk613 Thread Starter

Specifics:
    Primary Browser - Google Chrome (this happens on Firefox, Opera and IE too)
    Anti-Virus: Had Kaspersky (uninstalled to see if it was the issue) and now I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials (still happening)

I've been having issues for the past few weeks with my internet going in spurts. It'll load pages quickly for a while (usually after not running for a long time or after a re-boot) then they'll start stalling out.

Pages on Chrome will give me the spinning icon like it's loading but the screen will stay white. If I wait a while (usually 90 seconds to 3 minutes) it might load or give me an error, but if I click the URL and hit Enter (or just click Refresh) it'll load. Sometimes, multiple clicks on a link will give me a quick load.

I have cleared my dns and it worked better briefly, but it's still an issue. Prior to removing Kaspersky I did a critical scan and a full scan but uncovered no threats. MSE also detected no threats upon installation. We have another laptop that works fine, 2 ipads that work fine and our phones work fine. Everything is connected wirelessly. I have tried resetting the AT&T modem, but it's still hanging up.

I have cleared all the cookies/cache/browsing history/etc and it still does it. I'm only using the same 4 websites to see if frequent visits will boost the load time, but it's not that.

Any ideas why this suddenly started happening? I'm not very computer literate, but can do enough to get into trouble. If I need to load up some logs, be patient with me. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is your modem also a wireless router, or do you have a separate router?

also type this in the command prompt: ping google.com -n 100 and report the packets lost.

3. jhawk613

jhawk613 Thread Starter

Everything is Wireless. AT&T U-Verse Gateway and a separate Wireless Router.

Ping statistics for 74.125.225.226:
    Packets: Sent=100, Received=98, Lost=2 (2% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 168ms, Average = 43ms

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Plug directly into the modem *may need to reboot the modem* and see if you get the same issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice