1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet pausing, called verizon...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Punker1234, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Punker1234

Punker1234 Thread Starter

Hello. My topic is horrible but its hard to describe this problem in a tiny sentence, so here we go!

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but about a week when my roomate and I tried to use our internet, it asked us to go ahead and re-activate our internet. We were confused, I tried messing with it and activating it once again but no go(it's been active for over 3 months). So we call Verizon and get it all taken care of, but since we've called I've had nothing but problems. My roommate hasn't mentioned anything but shes wired, and I'm wireless.

So let me explain the problem. Basically the connection generally doesn't disconnect, it'll stay with a great signal. What will happen though, is the internet will pause. I use mozilla, in the bottom left hand corner it will just say "Looking up www.xxxxx.com" I just tried it right now in fact, it will sit for a few seconds and end sup with "Problem loading page". A lot of the times it'll sit there for seconds or even a minute. But I could try it 5 seconds later and it might work, it seems so off and on. BUT, windows doesn't really tell me that it disconnects from the wireless connection. I'm just so confused/frustrated.

I'm good with computers, okay with wireless and network connections. As of now, I've made sure my IP is obtain automatically. I changed the channel in which the connection is on, as we have a few int he area. There are 3 on channel 6, and I'm on 11. Heard the farthest away is best. I've tried repair connection, renewing etc. Interesting to know that when I use Windows Wireless connection, it will work, but poorly like I said. When I use the Linkys program, it will connect but say no internet is available, and it wont work at all.

Now, I'm assuming it's something that Verizon did. It was acting up maybe 2-3 days BEFORE the activation incident came up, but even since then it's been doing it. For the last 3 months the connection was flawless and now is poop. It's horrible just browsing the net. I tried reading up, and how Verizon has to issue us two IP addresses possibly? or I could be off there not sure.

I've checked the Windows Event log, and it seems theres a lot in there from sources TCPIP which says its information and a few from DHCP which gives a warning.

TCPIP says:

The system detected that network adapter Linksys...PCI Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

DHCP says:

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address XXXXXXXXXXXX. The IP address being used is 169.254.XXX.XXX

There are some from Service Control Manager as well and its just information:

The Wireless Zero Configuration service entered the stopped state.
    The Wireless Zero Configuration service entered the running state.
    The Wireless Zero Configuration service was successfully sent a start control.

I tried to provide as much information as possible, if you need me just let me know. I thank you in advance for taking the time to help me. Thanks! -Jeff

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

IP address 169.254.XXX.XXX means your PC cannot obtain an IP address via DHCP from your router or modem, hence no connection. I would go back and make sure the modem or router and your PC have the same SSID, channel, encryption settings, and DHCP is enabled on both.

We also need to know the modem or router manufacturer and model number, wureless card manufacturer and model number, and whether your connection is ADSL or cable.

3. Punker1234

Punker1234 Thread Starter

Hello. Im using a Lynksys wireless PCI card, but I dont think thats the issue, im now thinking its router related because my roommates connection is flawless. I am using a Westell Modem/Router combo from Verizon, and it's model 327W I believe.

Now, sounds crazy, but I have the WEP Serial Number, and Mac number off the router. However, I dont know how to compare those numbers to what I have on my computer. Help? :) Thanks again! -Jeff

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm guessing that you don't have the correct WEP hex key in the Linksys utility, which is why you got the 169.254 .x.y you found in the event log.

Make sure you have the latest driver from Linksys's web site.

I suggest that you disable encryption on the router just long enough to see if you get any better results. While trying w/o encryption this would be a good time to try using the Linksys utility if you prefer it.

You were wise to check on other wireless networks and find an unused channel. But some people disable the SSID broadcast and not all adapters/utiities report "hidden" so you might try channel 1 just in case there is somebody else on 11.

2.4Ghz cordless phones can cause wireless interference. It sounds like you may be in an apartment or condo building, and you can't control others' phones or even know if they have such a beast. You could use Netstumbler ( http://www.netstumbler.com ) to check for noise caused by any type of interference.

5. Frank4d

6. Frank4d

But we still need the model number so we can look up the user's manual to tell you how to verify the settings are the same as your Westell 327W modem/router.

Also go to Start, Run, and type cmd on your roommate's computer. Then type ipconfig /all and post the results because that will tell us about the modem/router configuration.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice