Internet Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Danyo

Problem, when connecting to the net, message comes back "server not found". So far, reloaded IE, reinstalled wireless card and reconnected internet option. Can see the signal leaving the router, but not connecting to the internet. The IP address is correct, but still not connecting.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you connected to the router and checked the WAN status? It sounds like the modem isn't connecting.

Power down everything, modem, router, computer. Turn on the modem, let it connect. Turn on the router, give it two minutes to stabilize. Boot the PC and see if you're connected.

You might also tell us the make/model of the modem and router, the ISP you use, and the version/patch level of Windows. If this is a wireless connection, have you tried connecting with a cable to the router?

Danyo

The desktop is working fine another laptop with wireless card working also working. Can see the signal leaving the router "linksys wireless adaptor". Shows signal leaving laprtop to the router, router to internet. Almost like not getting signal back from internet. The browser starts to open, then get a message "server not found".

Danyo

Using IE6, thats the next thing i"m going to do. Uninstall, then reinstall IE.

OK Danyo,haven't you already?If you aren't getting DNS error Msg then IMHO you may be a
victim of Internet Explorer Syndrom.I had this 'server not found' message until in frustration
& anger I Beta Tested Firefox ,& downloaded latest version when recently released.Still
occasionally get the msg,but can click 'Try Again' with Fox=100% success 2nd time.Can also
reload pages i'm not happy with,using Keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-R).Not all pages load ,but a
IE Tag add on fixed that.(Some pages are coded for I.E.)http://getfirefox.com/
Suggestion!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This is highly unlikely to be a IE vs. Firefox issue. :rolleyes: Why don't we attempt to solve the problem, then you can be free to experiment with any browser you like.

Are you using the Windows wireless client or the wireless adapter's software? Do you have SP2 installed (I'm assuming XP here)? Have you checked the status of the wireless connection in the wireless client? Does it say connected?

Did you disable the encryption on the link to see if you have bad keys?

Danyo

I apologize for taking so long to reply. JohnWill, I am using ME with the latest updates. The router and wireless adaptor is also Linksys. Router is WRT54G, wireless adaptor WPC54G.
Like I said earlier, two other computers are working fine, also using wireless adaptors.
The information concerning the wireless card is:
connected
WPG54G: active
IP: 169.254.70.69
SUB NET:255.255.00
On the information getting on the WPC54G is signal from laptop to WPC54G to router and to the internet.
On the bottom of the screen when accessing the net, detecting proxy setting..then comes back with server not found.
I have tried to reconnect to the net, using Internet Option.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
GIve this Automated WINSOCK Fix all Windows Versions a try, it, it sometimes helps.

If you're "SURE" of the encryption key, try re-entering it in the wireless client. Also, you should always use the hex keys, not the "passcode" generated keys. The reason I suggest disabling encryption to troubleshoot is that it's the most likely cause of failing to connect.

Danyo

JohnWill, thanks for the suggestion, will download the WInsock file and give it a try.
The encrypton key is in HEX, and not "passcode" generated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.