1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by postmanpat, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. postmanpat

postmanpat Thread Starter

i am having a problem with my internet. i establish a connection to my isp, after surfing for a short while i can no longer browse web pages. cannot find server appears on the task bar and the web page you are looking for cannot be displayed appears on the monitor. the connection to the isp is still in tact. if i dissconect and then re-conect the connection is established but once again i cannot browse any pages. i have to restart my pc each time in order to be able to surf again ,but each time it only lasts for a short period of time before the same thing happens all over again. i have been in contact with my isp and everything is ok at their end. i am running windows 98se and internet explorer 6
    please can anyone help me

postmanpat

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Very strange problem. Have you done an updated antivirus scan?

You can do an online one here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

Also it might help to have a look at what programs are loading and running at startup. There are some, spyware and foistware, which can replace wsock32.dll and alter the winsock keys in the registry.

Go to start, run msinfo32 and click on "software environemnt" and "startup programs". Then click edit>select all>edit>copy and paste the copied text in your next reply.

And have you tried different access numbers for your ISP?

3. ratchet

ratchet

Who is your ISP?

4. wen

wen

freeserve by any chance?

if it is, have moaned at them since changing to anytime, still get booted off after a couple of hours or if we are just listening to the footie on media player.

wen

5. postmanpat

postmanpat Thread Starter

hi there rollin' rog thanks for your reply
    my isp is btinternet.com and there is only one access number
    here is the info u requested

Syndicate Manager Checker Startup Group C:\GSP\SMANAGER\LOTTERY.EXE CHECK
    load Win.ini PTSNOOP.EXE
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe

can u spot anything amiss
    this problem is driving me nuts
    await your reply loadsa thanks postmanpat:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice