1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet problems PC, but not network wide

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by atrac, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atrac

atrac Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have an xp pro machine hardwired to a netgear router. My wife has an 18 month dell laptop wirelessly connected to the network. At christmas I added a dell xps 1330, also wireless, this time running vista.

Since approximately christmas, I have been having problems with the internet on the desktop. Some sites take a long time to reload, and others - particularly secure sites such as paypal or ebay - seem to stall, and just perpetually load without ever arriving. Sometimes if I refresh I can bump it along and get the result.

I am running firefox, but if I switch to IE the problem remains. I even installed safari for windows just to check, and the problem remains on that too. I have also disabled the firewall on the desktop and this makes no difference. Both the laptops run fine.

I used to have an ip reservation for the desktop on the router (this was useful because I regularly use remote desktop connection from within the network to access my desktop from downstairs), but have gotten rid of that and the problem still remains.

So I think the problem is something on the desktop, or possibly the router. I don't think its a DNS / hosts issue because the sites do arrive in the end sometimes, and there are also times when the machine is better behaved and the sites to load without too much delay. I have checked for spyware / malware with nod32, spybot and adaware, and nothing.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice