1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet problems -- virus related?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Xini02, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xini02

Xini02 Thread Starter

Recently I've been having trouble with my internet connection. Most of the time it seems to run fine, but recently I've noticed that it slows down a little before loading the website. Sometimes it won't even connect to the websites until I refresh and try again. :/

I've had bad experiences with viruses before and this one is certainly filling the bill. I have Norton Internet Security and so far it is not logging anything suspicious and all full-scans (including in safe-mode) shows that the PC is clean. But I'm pretty sure internet doesn't bog by itself.

If I use the internet right after I start up the PC, I usually get these "Cannot connect to server" pages when it does happen. But after a while, they seem to go away until I restart my PC again. And it doesn't matter what part of the day I'm using the internet.

Some guys at the Symantec forums say it might be an ISP issue. But I'm kinda hesitant in going with that story. Is it really just an ISP issue or did I just grab some malware from a site (I haven't visited any new sites of the late, just fyi. Just all the ones I've visited for about a year and over now) and Norton is not detecting it?

Please help? If it really is a virus, I'd like to take care of this as soon as possible. And preferably without having to do a clean reboot. :(

Antivirus: Norton Internet Security
    Browser: Firefox 3.5
    Typical download speed: (30-40 kb, due to being stuck in a rural area. Btw, this hasn't changed much from before and after this weird internet issue. I've ran the speedtest.net for an hour and nothing significant has changed.)

The rest of the PC is running at normal capacity. No extra usage of CPU has been detected and there's no suspicious-looking processes. Just this internet thing.

If you need more info, just lemme know.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Who is your 56K dial-up internet service provider?

You're using a very outdated version of Mozilla Firefox. The current version was 7.0.1 until version 8.0 was released today.

----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice