INTERNET PROTOCOL.. missing!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gracie7

(I have Windows XP) I was trying to clean out my computer for more disk space, so I was deleting files I thought I didn't need in my Program Files. I have a habit of deleting by using SHIFT+DELETE, which permanently deletes the file without sending it to the Recycle Bin. So I went into a folder titled "Bin" and deleted a bunch of what I thought was gibberish (weird file names). I also deleted other things I thought were unimportant.

Who would've thought that after doing that stupid act, I can no longer upload files, send files, OR view videos in my Windows Media Player.

ANOTHER THING: It also sometimes gives me an error message saying Windows met an error and had to close. I was viewing My Computer when it happened, and when I clicked more info. it said that I was missing an Internet Protocol (IP)..so I'm wondering how I can get it back?

Someone please tell me what I'm missing :(

(I have Windows XP) I was trying to clean out my computer for more disk space, so I was deleting files I thought I didn't need in my Program Files. I have a habit of deleting by using SHIFT+DELETE, which permanently deletes the file without sending it to the Recycle Bin. So I went into a folder titled "Bin" and deleted a bunch of what I thought was gibberish (weird file names). I also deleted other things I thought were unimportant.

Who would've thought that after doing that stupid act, I can no longer upload files, send files, OR view videos in my Windows Media Player.

ANOTHER THING: It also sometimes gives me an error message saying Windows met an error and had to close. I was viewing My Computer when it happened, and when I clicked more info. it said that I was missing an Internet Protocol (IP)..so I'm wondering how I can get it back?

Someone please tell me what I'm missing :(
Explain specifically about weird file names.... Do you know these file name? for example .bin, .cfg , things like that?

Those files is really important... I afraid i have to say the best way to repair your PC is reinstall...

Or could you try to update your PC again via Windows Update... might find the error that you've accidently deleted it.

And if you have delete anything in your security programs folder... i might advise you to uninstall then reinstall to ensure everything is on it to secure your PC up.

Also, its a good idea to just uninstall using the uninstall/reinstall program, then defrag and that will help clear up space, and be a bit safer. My rule of thumb is, if i don't know exactly what it does, i leave it be.

Just reinstall Windows if you have the CD's. It's the fastest and easiest way.

Defragmenting you're computer won't free up all that much space. You can use a program like CCleaner to free up space.

This is in the wrong section. Can an admin move it to the NT/2000/XP forum?

Opps, I've noticed that now, I will ask Moderator nicely to move to appropriate area so you will have more people to help in there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.