Internet Protocol TCP/IP missing in win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bjl66

I have an old Quantex laptop that was handed down to me running windows 98. I had it all set up with a D-Link wireless card to a D-Link wireless router. It was working fine. It stopped working and like an idiot I pulled out the D-Link card without disabling it while the laptop was running. I have installed and re-installed the D-Link drivers and software and have no problem connecting to the router. The problem is I can't get to the internet because the TCP/IP protocol is missing - I can't bind the D-Link card to the TCP/IP protocol. When I try adding a protocol the window comes up where you highlight what you want to add - protocol, adapter etc. I highlight protocol but nothing happens.

What can I do to get the TCP/IP protocol back?

You should be double clicking the protocol. In the next screen it should give you a drop down of the one you want I.E. NetBeui, IPX/SPX and TCP/IP among others possibly. Double click TCP/IP and you should then get prompted to install it (you may need the 98 cd).

Or are you sayign it actually wont' progress past the protocol selection at all?

bjl66

There's an ADD button. I think I tried double clicking as well but I'm not 100% sure - I'll try that.

I never get the drop down to select what I want.

1. Click on the Add button
2. Click on Protocol
3. Click on Microsoft
4. Click on TCP/IP
5. Reboot when requrested

bjl66

Bob Cerelli said:
1. Click on the Add button
2. Click on Protocol
3. Click on Microsoft
4. Click on TCP/IP
5. Reboot when requrested
1. Click the add button
2. Click on Protocol
nothing happens no option for Microsoft, no drop down menu

Could be your networking components have gotten corrupted, especially if there is not list at all.

Usally I need to remove them, reboot and reinstall. Make sure your OS source files and network card drivers available.

bjl66

I started to try reinstalling Dial-up Networking but when I click on the Windows Setup Tab COMMUNICATIONS is not listed. Actually, nothing is listed. There is nothing in the window that can be checked/unchecked.

I don't have the original windows98 disks or any of the drivers for this laptop. If they exist they are in Saipan with my brother in-law.

I do have windows 98 for my desktop. It is an older version than what's currently on the laptop - when I put it in the cd-rom drive a window tells me it's an older version and disables installing. I wouldn't mind installing windows from the desktop cd but I'm afraid of not having the right drivers. I also don't know anything about laptops so I wouldn't know how to handle the removable drives CD-ROM, Zip drive, diskette that can be swapped.

Any suggestions?

If there is nothing in communications and you don't have the CD it needs to reinstall I am thinking your gonna need to start fresh.Maybe one of the others here will be able to point you to something else but I think a fresh install will solve the missing components/uninstallable protocols.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts