1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet randomly disconnects on PC but other devices work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by srs23, Aug 23, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. srs23

srs23 Thread Starter

Hello, I recently moved and had to reset up my computer/internet set up which has lead to some problems. I was having a wired connection for my computer at my old place but now the router is in another room so I've switched back to using wifi, and since then my computer has been disconnecting from the internet at random times. About a year-ish ago, i used to use wifi for internet and used to have the same issue. The problem isn't with the internet service itself because my other devices connected work just fine even when my computer disconnects. Sometimes my computer will say it is still connected to the router but there is no internet. So it looks like the problem is related to my computer. Some of the solutions I have tried include restarting my computer and router, and disabling my network adapter power saving settings. Also, the router has 2 connections, the normal wifi and then the 5g version. Usually if my computer disconnects from one, i'll connect to the other and that usually gives me internet access for a while until i randomly disconnect again. I'm not sure what else to try, and I'd rather exhaust all my options before taking it to get it checked at a computer repair place since I'm a graduate student and can't really afford to pay a lot to get it fixed. I would appreciate any feedback/help! Thank you.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager. Then find networking, and right click on every device and choose Upgrade. This will bring down newer drivers if there is one.

3. srs23

srs23 Thread Starter

Yup tried that, didn't help. Had another random disconnect sometime after trying that.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you are stuck using wifi and the hardware in your computer keeps randomly dropping both at the new location and the old location, then think about not using it.

Cheap solution and doesn't require you taking the computer to be looked at: buy a USB wifi dongle and see if that allows you to remain connected.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it were me I'd first make sure that the latest correct (NOT whatever Windows decides to install) wireless driver is installed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice