1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Randomly Disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HaroRider, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

So I have Windows 7 and I am connected to a Net gear router with another computer. I constantly (Every Hour) have to reset my modem and router (Unplug It) because it simply stops working. (I get the little triangle with the "!" over the "computer" in the bottom left hand corner. As soon as I reset it, it will be good again for a bit but usually not more than an hour. (Sometimes longer if I am lucky) I have no idea where to begin. I really want this fixed because I play a lot of video games, and not only that my router is upstairs, so I have to run up every time to reset it and its great exercise but its very annoying.

Edit:

ISP: Time Warner

Modem Model Number: SBV5121
    Make: Motorolla

Router Model Number: RP6214BDB009145 (Wired Router)
    Make: Net Gear

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    does the other computer also lose connection - or just one?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We need the model of the Netgear, not the serial number.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Make and exact model and hardware version of any other network equipment, like a repeater, a booster, hi-gain antenna, etc.
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• Have you tried to do a system restore to before the problem occurred?
    • If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • For wireless connection issues, have you removed all the stored wireless network profiles and then searched for the network?
    • For wireless laptops, have you made SURE the wireless switch is on?
    • For wired connection issues, have you booted in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

4. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

They both loose connection.

5. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Modem Motorolla -SBV5121

Router Netgear- RP614 v3

No other network equiptment

Its a wired connection

Windows 7 64 bit, and Windows Xp Sp3

Internet Explorer on both machines

Have you tried to do a system restore to before the problem occurred? No

For wired connection issues, have you booted in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that changes the symptoms? No

Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue? No

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally? Yes

6. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Do you want me to do the rest in command prompt when the computers are working or not working?

I am thinking I should run through the modem first to see if its the modem or the router would this be helpful?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you connect directly to the modem with one computer, does it disconnect as well? Since they both disconnect, it would appear to be the router, modem, or the ISP.

8. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

They do both disconnect, I am currently running one computer through the modem, I will do this until it happens and report back if and when it does.

9. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

I just connected directly to my modem and it still happens what should I do? I guess that rules out the router

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you used the same cable that had connected the modem and router to connect the computer to the modem then that cable is a (low probability) suspect.

Otherwise it is a problem with the ISP or the modem or possibly your coax cabling.

What are the modem LEDs telling you? They are explained on page 3 (PDF page 11) of your manual.

11. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

No it was a different cable

Ill check the leds next time it happens.

I think I could get a new modem for free down at time warner, so I will try that first.

But if its the cables coming from outside or the ISP itself I assume I have to call the company?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yeah, but be careful what you call them; they have to fix it for you. :D

The coax and splitters inside your house are probably your responsibility.

13. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

I have one splitter however I suspect its not the splitter since my dads tv is connected to it and it works. This may sound funny but is there a way to test the splitter with a DVOM?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can't test with a DVOM. Just look at what's printed on the splitter. It should be capable of at least 1,000 MHz. I have two good ones here (only one in the path to the modem of course); one says "5/1000 MHz" and the other says "5-1100 MHz."

It doesn't hurt, and may help, to disconnect and reconnect all the connections between modem and outside.

15. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Yea, I would have to do it when my dad isnt home. Actually I am going to pick up the new modem tomorrow and connect directly to the new modem. Then for sure I will know if its the wire outside or isp side of things

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice